website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Cup 2022 - 2023

Totallympics

Will this be another Maribor-like annual shitshow? I assume they counted on late October/early November being suitable to have snow at such high altitude but if this doesn't work there's like no other place to put this on calendar given how Wengen is locked and St. Moritz would be unwilling to move around. And they won't throw the North American races to March like it was in the 80s.

22 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Will this be another Maribor-like annual shitshow? I assume they counted on late October/early November being suitable to have snow at such high altitude but if this doesn't work there's like no other place to put this on calendar given how Wengen is locked and St. Moritz would be unwilling to move around. And they won't throw the North American races to March like it was in the 80s.

Actually, there is a real possibility that this year is the last for Lake Louise as their contract is up. 

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2022/08/17/lake-louise-alpine-skiing-world-cup/

Now, most likely it will be switched for a different NA resort, since the WC needs some variety after all. If FIS wants to widen the calendar i have always thought, that NA has better snow conditions in November/December than Europe, so it would be logical to have those legs from the middle of November and slot this new Cervinia stint at the beginning of December.

The NA resorts probably won't like this idea, as early-middle November is slightly out of season and they would much more prefer to stay in December to attract tourists, but from a WC standpoint it makes to most sense to have the long trip overseas at the very beginning of the season.