website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

9 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

With the changing gender standards it’s bound to happen at one point or another.

Gender standards? :rolleyes: Gimme a break... that's political bullshit. You've invented a new DNA code? Recounted the chromosomes and came up with a new magic number?

Transgender athletes will never change the standards of global professional sport because they won't be allowed to. They're in a huge minority anyway so it won't make it pass the first post. Hell, Semenya getting pushed back under the rock only proves that. And nobody will even consider any changes for third-string athletes because they're irrelevant anyway.

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

IAAF only emphasised 400-1500 m. Dont know why. It should extend to all track and field events.

So, yes, i agree with you.

Because it's where endurance-speed ratio matters the most. It doesn't matter as much in longer races i.e. marathon where trained women can easily beat the time of several men. Last year's Chicago women's marathon winner finished 24th on the road. Good luck with Semenya finishing Top 25 among male 800m speciallists even once!

Just now, Monzanator said:

Because it's where endurance-speed ratio matters the most. It doesn't matter as much in longer races i.e. marathon where trained women can easily beat the time of several men. Last year's Chicago women's marathon winner finished 24th on the road. Good luck with Semenya finishing Top 25 among male 800m speciallists even once!

You got that right. 

Marathon is exception, testosterone isnt that important there. Same as in race walking.

On the other hand, all throwing,jumping except high jump and pole vault, highly depends on testosterone. So, IAAF should broaden its criteria. 

Just now, ChandlerMne said:

You got that right. 

Marathon is exception, testosterone isnt that important there. Same as in race walking.

On the other hand, all throwing,jumping except high jump and pole vault, highly depends on testosterone. So, IAAF should broaden its criteria. 

The IAAF needs to have scientific proof, right now it only has enough to claim 400-1500m

And before saying it's obvious, remember the IAAF tried to have the ban across all events before being forced to backtrack.

Edited by JoshMartini007

Just now, JoshMartini007 said:

The IAAF needs to have scientific proof, right now it only has enough to claim 400-1500m

True, scientific based conclusion is only one valid. 

It shouldnt be that hard to relate distance in shot put with testosterone.

We had many girls in the 80ies who were throwing 21+. Almost every one of them was using steroids or testosterone. Now, when testing is more often and more precise, every 20.00 m + result is sufficient for gold. 

3 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

And before saying it's obvious, remember the IAAF tried to have the ban across all events before being forced to backtrack.

The problem for the IAAF is that there are so few athletes in the same position as Semenya so they only have evidence in the events in which that athletes have the greatest advantage.

Let's face it, if the race you're best at is the 800m then you run the 800m even if yoy enjoy the 100m more.

3 hours ago, ChandlerMne said:

Yes, i am from Montenegro.

I would feel exactly the same. Principle is same, nation is of no importance here. 

A little (a lot) off topic here, but are you attending the games this month?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I will say, while the athletics world tears itself apart at this decision...Semenya has been very classy and reasonable in her response. It makes me rethink my reaction a little bit. I can be upset about it, but in all honesty none of our opinions will do anything about it now.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

A little (a lot) off topic here, but are you attending the games this month?

Selected events, yes. My working hours doesnt allow full comittment but i hope that i will watch as many events as possible.