website statistics

Athletics 2019 Discussion Thread

OlympicIRL

Just now, OlympicIRL said:

You're going to have to help me out with this one :d

For the benefit of everybody else reading this...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics/irish-chiefs-left-to-rue-standards-call-as-diver-makes-a-splash-down-under-37631992.html

And she's still got that Mayo accent...

Edited by Dragon

Just now, Dragon said:

Ahh, of course. I thought you were talking about Callum Hawkins being a Melbourne woman :d

From the depths of hell Mayo, to the depths of Melbourne. She's an inspiration though :)

Lausanne, 29 April 2019 –

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will announce the decision in the case involving the South African athlete Caster Semenya, Athletics South Africa (ASA) and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on 1 May 2019 at 12:00 (CET) by way of a media release published on the CAS website

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

Lausanne, 29 April 2019 –

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will announce the decision in the case involving the South African athlete Caster Semenya, Athletics South Africa (ASA) and the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) on 1 May 2019 at 12:00 (CET) by way of a media release published on the CAS website

I really hope they made the right decision here. This has huge implications obviously. If Semenya loses, I say she takes them to international court, since we’ve already established thanks to Germans that legal jurisdiction is tricky.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

40 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I really hope they made the right decision here. This has huge implications obviously. If Semenya loses, I say she takes them to international court, since we’ve already established thanks to Germans that legal jurisdiction is tricky.

I don't there can be a "right" decision here. If Semenya loses the case then, despite having nothing wrong, she probably will not be the best in the world ever again.

If she wins we don't know what happens next. It could even lead, in the most extreme case, to the end of women only sports.events.