website statistics

Pan American Games 2019

vinipereira

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Even with a B team in most sports here, Canada is still hanging in there, and honestly I am surprised at that!

We haven't had much going on, to be honest. 

This is a huge problem with this edition, of course. The highlight of the event so far has been the gymnastics events. Canada sent the best of the best in every event, so no B teams here. And, quite honestly, except for the women's artistic team, I don't think Canada looks too hot. Men's artistic was okay considering no one expected anything from them, rhythmic has been a disaster so far and in men's trampoline your best gymnast didn't even qualify for a final.

The second best event for Canada so far is diving, and also no B teams here. No wonder you are doing better than expected.

16 minutes ago, intoronto said:

And per the Totallympics tracker, Canada has 7 gold in WC events, almost double Colombia/Argentina/Brazil combined...

And the US has 46. My point when replying to @Olympian1010 is that Canada is much closer to Colombia, Argentina and Brazil than the US. Not even close to US by a mile.

37 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

Maybe enjoy the Pan American Games for what they are?

That doesn't mean I don't have a problem regarding schedule and broadcast, but this "USA and Canada doesn't care about the Pan Am Games" discussion is too overrated. That's their problem, but not one for the latin american nations - were the Games are widely popular (I mean, as far as multi-sport competitions go).

That’s what I’m saying. The games would be more enjoyable if the US and Canada just didn’t show up. I’d enjoy them more and the atmosphere would be better.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

That’s what I’m saying. The games would be more enjoyable if the US and Canada just didn’t show up. I’d enjoy them more and the atmosphere would be better.

With this I don't agree. While USA (mostly) and Canada doesn't send the best athletes in some sports, the competition still is interesting/enjoyable in many many events IMO. Also, we have Olympic tickets in many sports...

2 minutes ago, vinipereira said:

With this I don't agree. While USA (mostly) and Canada doesn't send the best athletes in some sports, the competition still is interesting/enjoyable in many many events IMO. Also, we have Olympic tickets in many sports...

And in some sports, even when they send their best athletes, they are beaten by other nations. Case in point: artistic gymnastics and diving. Both Canada and the US sent some of their best athletes and were beaten by Brazil both in gold and overall number of medals in artistic gymnastics (the US tied in overall medals with Brazil, actually) and, so far, by Mexico in diving (Mexico has more gold medals AND overall medals in diving than any other nation).

Let's stop pretending the rest of the continent can't keep up and the competition is hopeless, please.

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Well China can send its 31st ranked anthers and still 3/4 of the world in most sports. The Asian Games were just awesome, same with the Pacific Games. The Pan American Games just aren’t. I honestly enjoyed the CAC Games more, and thought the level of competition was better there than it is here. I think that the difference for me is, Asia has made huge strides in sports in the last decade. Pan American countries have been doing the opposite. Obviously there’s also been a lot more political and economic issues in Pan America recently, but the competition just doesn’t feel worth it. The games might be better in my opinion if the US and Canada didn’t bother sending teams. I think it would feel more serious and I could get more invested.

You're kidding right? How can you even compare Central American and Caribbean Games with this? Not in a million years... the only exceptions could be baseball and boxing. Other than that, no other sport has half the level.

18 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

You're kidding right? How can you even compare Central American and Caribbean Games with this? Not in a million years... the only exceptions could be baseball and boxing. Other than that, no other sport has half the level.

Weightlifting, Diving, and Track Cycling has a similar level too. The difference is that people at the CAC Games were taking it seriously. Here at Lima it is all about Olympic qualification and “training competitions”. Plus, many Peruvians seem not to care about the event. In Samoa, the whole damn island came out for the games, and the atmosphere was awesome.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, thiago_simoes said:

We haven't had much going on, to be honest. 

This is a huge problem with this edition, of course. The highlight of the event so far has been the gymnastics events. Canada sent the best of the best in every event, so no B teams here. And, quite honestly, except for the women's artistic team, I don't think Canada looks too hot. Men's artistic was okay considering no one expected anything from them, rhythmic has been a disaster so far and in men's trampoline your best gymnast didn't even qualify for a final.

The second best event for Canada so far is diving, and also no B teams here. No wonder you are doing better than expected.

Rhythmic is a mix of a/b (Best overall + Natalie Garcia, for development). Jason Burnett is the big name in trampoline here, but he is no longer the world threat he was before. He finished 10th and last nationals just last week (Chartier was 7th), and ofc the women are missing MacLennan here.