website statistics

Athletics WA World Championships 2022

George_D

I haven't posted in this topic since the World Championships started, so just some :GRE recap:

1. Tentoglou winning silver was a bit strange, we got so used to him winning gold all the time :lol:

He had the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th best jumps of the competition, but in the end even he said "it would be a disgrace to win gold with only 8.32m"

He also would've held all 5 (Olympic, World outdoor and indoor, European outdoor and indoor) titles at once, but he will have another chance next year to do this hopefully!

2. 38 yo Drisbioti finishing 4th in 35km is really amazing. She quit athletics from a young age to go to university, then came back in her late 20s, made the Rio Olympics, then finished top 8 in Tokyo and now is going for Paris too. The Hellenic Olympic Committee didn't even sponsor her after her 8th place finish in Tokyo because she is "too old," so she works full-time at her family's tavern and trains after midnight when the tavern closes. Also she broke her national record by almost 6 minutes, although as we know it's a new event so probably not as impressive as it sounds.

3. Stefanidi 5th in women's pole vault was disappointing but not surprising. I mean I thought it would've been worse to be honest. Although 4.70 was a SB for her, hopefully she can medal at the European Championships (where she is two-time defending champion), but she has really been a shadow of her former self since the pandemic. Also we had a streak of 3 consecutive medals in the women's pole vault at the World Championships (Kyriakopoulou bronze 2015, Stefanidi gold 2017, Stefanidi bronze 2019), so now that has come to an end as well :cry:

4. Frantzeskakis finishing 9th in the men's hammer was very respectable considering his young age. Hopefully the first of many big finals for him.

5. Very disappointing that Tzengko (women's javelin) missed out on the final as she was one of the best in the world this year, but still she is only 19 so hopefully she can be more consistent in the future. Stamatia Scarvelis (women's hammer) missing the final was a big shock, as she only threw 67.20 which was by far her worst of the year, meanwhile she was over 70m in 6 different competitions this year.

6. Disappointing but not surprising that Karalis, Karydi, Kyriakopoulou and Polak missed out on their finals. All have been in horrible form. Kyriakopoulou is 36 so I guess at this point her goal is to make it to Paris 2024 and then retire. The others had some injury problems but are younger (especially Karalis and Karydi) so I expect more from them.

7. Lastly, bittersweet that Tatiana Gusin couldn't make the final of the women's high jump. She came so close and that would've been a pleasant surprise. 

He got 11k $ , the price of 1 car 

Here are the purses at stake at the 2022 World Athletics Championships in Oregon.

Prize money for individual events

PLACE PRIZE MONEY
Gold $70,000
Silver $35,000
Bronze $22,000
4th $16,000
5th $11,000
6th $7000
7th $6000
8th $5000