website statistics

Speed Skating at the Winter Olympic Games Beijing 2022

Totallympics

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

OBS and ESP commentators are basically fawning over them.

Yeah....but that's quite something you're talking about. They see every sport as nothing but the little fact sheet they are presented with by their employer :p 

They're kind of like me watching figure skating: I just quickly check Wikipedia to see who won last time and will base my opinions and expectations on that :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Let's see if Van der Poel does something with his 'anger' after coming up with 'corruption' and 'the biggest scandal in the sport' (something with the Dutch influencing the ice, which isn't really true, but he probably wanted some attention, so there you go :p ). It's a speed skating 'scandal' so obviously it made newspaper covers here :d 

Whaaaaat? :surprise:

I was indifferent abiut him, but now I kind of want him to lose. :p

#banbestmen

3 minutes ago, Ted said:

Your predictions, sir?

Van der Poel 12:40

Bergsma 12:45

Bloemen 12:48

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, dcro said:

Whaaaaat? :surprise:

I was indifferent abiut him, but now I kind of want him to lose. :p

Not sure if this works outside of the Netherlands:

https://nos.nl/peking2022/artikel/2416465-van-der-poel-spreekt-schande-van-nederlandse-ijslobby-dit-is-corruptie-een-gruweldaad

Basically there was a piece written in a rather poor wording, which according to Van der Poel said the Dutch are influencing the ice. When in reality, they are (as always) measuring everything they can measure to improve their results (nothing different than measuring the snow in skiing), and sharing some of that data with the 'ijsmeester' ('ice master'? 'head of ice'?), Canadian Mark Messer, when asked for it. Mind you, Mark Messer is a super experienced Canadian, arguably the best in this kind of thing, it's not like a couple of Dutchies are going to actually influence what he thinks is best.

It's all a bit unfortunate, but corruption or 'biggest scandal in the sport' is hugely, but really hugely overreacting.

Roest doesn't seem good at all.

1 minute ago, Monzanator said:

:SWE van der Poel was a bigger favorite in 10k, right?

He definitely is, yes.

Right, that seems better from Roest.

What a race though :bowdown:

And to think 'they' want to kill this event, whereas not a single event in speed skating (no, not even mass start) has this many ups and downs as a good 10k has.