website statistics

Winter Olympic Games 2030 Bid Process

George_D

31 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I'm sure they can find someone in Europe for 2030. Spain and Andorra could host by themselves, they don't even need France in that bid. Weren't Norway wanting to host at some point? 

They need a willing partner.  They can't just point to a city and say "hey, do you want to host a Winter Olympics?"  Public support is the key.  The Barcelona/Pyrenees bid might struggle on the front.  And yea, Oslo was going to bid for 2022, but the IOC and their 7,000 page list of demands scared them off.  So it'll be tough to get them back in the fold because it only works if their citizens are on board.

30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I suspect there will be no bidding process at all. Venues in Europe in particular are unwilling to bid for OG, the public support is basically gone. Just award the Games to anyone who wants to wants to host them.

Haha maybe the only chance for Sweden to get it? Be the only one who wants it. :)

But of course our public don’t want it either. 

30 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I suspect there will be no bidding process at all. Venues in Europe in particular are unwilling to bid for OG, the public support is basically gone. Just award the Games to anyone who wants to wants to host them.

That is exactly what is happening now. 

6 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I kinda lost track of the bidding process alltogether. I'm just happy the windy Are won't host the WOG in 2026 :p

There's no more process.  The IOC picks a city, announces they're hosting the Olympics, and that's it.  Probably seen the last formal vote for awhile

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

I kinda lost track of the bidding process alltogether. I'm just happy the windy Are won't host the WOG in 2026 :p

I would have preferred that over a relatively weak Winter nation like Italy getting two Olympics in close proximity...

#banbestmen

30 minutes ago, prso1000 said:

If I was IOC I would contact Poland, they seem to be the only in Europe who could be interested.I don’t know about Spain/Andorra. 

Does Belarus have mountains ?😂

Poland has given up on this WOG fallacy few years ago (the last genuine bid was for 2006, the 2014 bid was quickly shot down in public vote). There is literally one road from Krakow to Zakopane so it would be insanely jammed if OG ever came around. Not to mention we don't have cross country loops long enough even for Junior World Champs right now. And there is no way we'd build a bobsleigh track so that would have to be hosted in Sigulda most likely.

14 minutes ago, dcro said:

I would have preferred that over a relatively weak Winter nation like Italy getting two Olympics in close proximity...

A 50 second shortened Super G or Downhill in Are would be a travesty. It was the only reason I supported the Italian bid. Cortina rarely has weather issues compared to Are.