website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

5 hours ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Just going to post a full summary here to make it easier to analyze.

:GBR British Qualification Tracker (after full competition) :GBR

Priority 1: 1st place finishers with nomination time (guaranteed selection) (13 swimmers)

• Freya Colbert - W 200m Freestyle, W 4x200m Freestyle Relay, W 400m Individual Medley, W 200m Individual Medley
  • Kathleen Dawson - W 100m Backstroke
  • Anna Hopkin - W 50m Freestyle
  • Daniel Jervis - M 1500m Freestyle
  • Keanna MacInnes - W 200m Butterfly, W 4x100m Medley Relay, (possible 100m Butterfly)
  • Ollie Morgan - M 100m Backstroke, M 200m Backstroke
  • Adam Peaty - M 100m Breaststroke
  • Max Litchfield - M 400m Individual Medley
  • Honey Osrin - W 200m Backstroke
  • Ben Proud - M 50m Freestyle
  • Matt Richards - M 50m Freestyle, M 100m Freestyle, M 200m Freestyle, M 4x100m Freestyle Relay, M 4x200m Freestyle Relay
  • Duncan Scott - M 100m Freestyle, M 200m Freestyle, M 4x100m Freestyle Relay, M 4x200m Freestyle Relay, M 200m Individual Medley
  • Abbie Wood - W 200m Freestyle , W 4x200m Freestyle Relay, W 200m Individual Medley

Priority 2: Freestyle Relay swimmers (guaranteed selection) (5 swimmers)

• Alexander Cohoon - M 4x100m Freestyle Relay
  • Tom Dean - M 4x100m Freestyle Relay, M 200m Individual Medley
  • James Guy - M 4x200m Freestyle Relay
  • Medi Harris - W 4x200m Freestyle Relay
  • Lucy Hope - W 4x200m Freestyle Relay

Priority 3: Medley Relay swimmers (guaranteed selection) (1 swimmer)

• Joe Litchfield - M 4x100m Medley Relay

Priority 5: 2nd place finishers with nomination time (4 swimmers)

• Luke Greenbank - M 200m Backstroke
  • Jonny Marshall - M 100m Backstroke
  • Laura Stephens - W 200m Butterfly
  • Katie Shanahan - W 400m Individual Medley, W 200m Backstroke

Candidates for Priority 4 - Discretionary Picks

• Freya Anderson - W 100m Freestyle, W 200m Freestyle (injured)
  • Kieran Bird - M 400m Freestyle (OQT)
  • Amelie Blocksidge - W 1500m Freestyle (OCT)
  • Lauren Cox - W 100m Backstroke (NT at World Championships)
  • Angharad Evans - W 100m Breaststroke (OQT)
  • Kara Hanlon - W 100m Breaststroke (OQT), W 200m Breaststroke (OCT)
  • Eva Okaro - W 100m Freestyle (W 4x100m Freestyle)
  • Jack McMillan - M 4x100m Freestyle
  • James Wilby - M 100m Breaststroke (OQT)
  • Jacob Whittle - M 4x100m Freestyle

@Pasolini I agree with your discretionary picks :). And now the long wait for a team announcement begins...

my picks...

all the 23 swimmers with Priority 1, 2, 3 and 5

then, Anderson, Bird, Cox, Evans, McMillan, Wilby and Whittle

and yes, I think they will fill all the 30 spots...actually they might even go up to 31 and take also Hanlon

they need all those backups for the relays

2 hours ago, phelps said:

my picks...

all the 23 swimmers with Priority 1, 2, 3 and 5

then, Anderson, Bird, Cox, Evans, McMillan, Wilby and Whittle

and yes, I think they will fill all the 30 spots...actually they might even go up to 31 and take also Hanlon

they need all those backups for the relays

Not so sure about Hanlon as a relay only swimmer, because realistically they don't need female breaststroke back up - the women's medley is not going to win anything, and they are not going to swim a female breaststroke in the mixed. Wilby is different because he actually is back up for Peaty in two medal possible events.

However, it might be McMillan who misses out if the Litchfields and Bird are considered adequate 4 x 2 backup. Guy and Dean can definitely swim the heats. In a good world both Scott and Richards get a rest, but this is not a good world. However, if you could find other places to rest those two (4 x 100 free heats using whittle and possibly guy or even Proud) and men 4x1 medley using dean), you could put one in the 4 x 2 heat alone with Guy and Dean, and they would almost certainly be able to carry Bird or Max Litchfield in that scenario and still make the final.

FWIW I'd prefer to take 31 and bring Hanlon for insurance.

Edited by mpjmcevoy

15 hours ago, Vektor said:

Milák is back with a 48.38 in 100 free.

He still got his speed, but it remains to be seen what happens in the fly events. 

200m Fly: Milàk, 1.55.43 in the morning heats

I guess he's gonna swim at least 1.53 in the afternoon, which would mean that he's gonna enter the Olympics as the usual favourite

p.s. he also swam 22.29 in the 50m Free heats

Edited by phelps

7 hours ago, phelps said:

200m Fly: Milàk, 1.55.43 in the morning heats

I guess he's gonna swim at least 1.53 in the afternoon, which would mean that he's gonna enter the Olympics as the usual favourite

p.s. he also swam 22.29 in the 50m Free heats

:HUN Nationals

men's 200m Fly

1.Kristòf Milàk, 1.54.90

2.Richàrd Màrton, 1.56.32

3. :TUR Polat Uzer Turnali, 1.56.41 :yikes:

women's 200m Fly

1.Boglàrka Kapàs, 2.08.15

men's 50m Freestyle

1.Kristòf Milàk, 21.89

2.Nàndor Nèmeth, 22.19

quite disappointed by Milàk's swim over 200m Fly...after this morning, I expected him to be at least 1.5 sec faster Tonight

Quick midweek update on some trials/national meets this week:

:HUN Hungary

Most of the highlights have already been mentioned by other users on the forum. However, one swim was missed. Yesterday in the men's 200 IM, Gabor Zombori swam 1:57.88 to beat his lifetime best by over a second. That swim gets him under the OQT needed for the Olympics.

:RSA South Africa (After 3 of 6 days)

Josh has already mentioned Schoenmaker's time. However, in the same race, Kaylene Corbett also went 2:23.71 to also confirm her ticket to Paris. She has been 2:22 in the qualification period at WUGS. 

Pieter Coetze also went 1:55.85 in the 200m backstroke to confirm his spot in Paris.

Matt Sates has the OQT in the 200m butterfly but wasn't quite able to clear the OQT at this meet. However, I believe South Africa does accept OQT's from outside the national championships if no swimmer hits it there.

:NZL New Zealand (After 3 of 5 days)

Eve Thomas successfully added the 1500m freestyle to her event lineup to go alongside the 400m and 800m freestyles. She won in 16:07.46 to get under the OQT.

Hazel Ouwehand established a New Zealand Record in the Women's 100m Butterfly. Her time of 57.43 gets her a ticket to Paris.

Erika Fairweather has been in fine form going 1:55.45 and 4:02.35 in the 200 and 400m freestyles. She's already qualified in both events.

Lewis Clareburt is already in fine form. He went 1:47.18 and 3:46.85 in the 200 and 400m freestyles. Both PB's and the latter is under the OCT. These set him up well for his better 200m butterfly and 200m IM events later in the meet where he is still hunting down the OQT's.

Despite achieving the OQT at the 2023 World Championships, Andrew Jeffcoat is in danger of missing the Olympics. He already failed to hit the OQT in the 100m backstroke and has one more chance in the 200m backstroke here.

14 hours ago, phelps said:

:HUN Nationals

men's 200m Fly

1.Kristòf Milàk, 1.54.90

2.Richàrd Màrton, 1.56.32

3. :TUR Polat Uzer Turnali, 1.56.41 :yikes:

women's 200m Fly

1.Boglàrka Kapàs, 2.08.15

men's 50m Freestyle

1.Kristòf Milàk, 21.89

2.Nàndor Nèmeth, 22.19

quite disappointed by Milàk's swim over 200m Fly...after this morning, I expected him to be at least 1.5 sec faster Tonight

1) Milak went 21.8 in the 50 free in the same session afterwards, so not sure if he went all out in the 200 fly.

2) Milak swam a clear PB in the 50 free, so his speed is excellent. We‘ll see how it translates to the 100 fly.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.