website statistics

Swimming Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

On 6/29/2024 at 5:19 PM, Cinnamon Bun said:

Apologies for the delay, wanted to make sure everything accurate and factually correct on the OCT eligibility side. 

When adding up the qualified individual and relay athletes I got a final number of 594. Due to all the relay athletes not being announced this number I had to make an educated guess fora couple of the relay nations so this number may be 3 or 4 out either side. I then added all the possible universality quotas which got me to a total of 319 before combining those numbers to get to 913. I then divided 319 by 4 as I expect about 50 - 60 of the countries eligible for 2 universality quotas to only take up 1 or potentially none at all and about 15-20 of the countries eligible for 1 universality quota to reject it, this left me with 79.75 that I rounded up to 80. I then subtracted 80 from the 913 total to get a final estimate of 833, meaning 19 quotas would be available for OCT athletes. With that said here is every athlete that is eligible to qualify via OCT after OQT, relay and universality quotas are dished out in order of their priority: 

1. :AUT - Heiko Gigler - Men’s 100m Free - 909 points (:ISR - Bar Soloveychik - Men's 400m Free - 907 points) 

2. :SUI - Jeremy Desplanches - Men’s 200m IM - 901 points

3. :JPN - Shogo Takeda - Men’s 1500m Free - 896 points (:POL - Jan Kalusowski - Men's 200m Breastroke - 895 points) (:CAN - Penny Oleksiak - Women's 100m Free - 894 points) 

4. :FIN - Tomas Koski - Men’s 200m Free - 880 points

5. :SLO - Janja Segel - Women’s 200m Free - 880 points (:IRL - Connor Ferguson - Men's 100m Back - 878 points) (:GER - Luca Armbruster - Men's 100m Fly - 876 points) 

6. :ROU - Henrietta Fangli - Women's 100m Breastroke - 873 points 

7. :ESP - Jessica Vall Montero - Women’s 200m Breastroke - 872 points

8. :RSA - Emma Chelius - Women’s 50m Free - 871 points (:DEN - Martine Damborg - Women's 100m Fly - 871 points) 

9. :ARG - Santiago Grassi - Men’s 100m Fly - 870 points 

10. :GER - David Thomasberger - Men’s 200m Fly - 863 points

11. :ARG - Agostina Hein - Women’s 800m Free - 863 points

12. :POR - Francisca Soares Martins - Women’s 400m Free - 858 points

13. :EGY - Ali Khalafalla - Men’s 50m Free - 856 points 

14. :IRL - John Shortt - Men’s 200m Back - 855 points

15. :SGP - Ching Hwee Gan - Women’s 1500m Free - 852 points

16. :ESP - Laura Cabanes Garzas - Women’s 200m Fly - 841 points

17. :ROU - Aissia Claudia Prisecariu - Women’s 200m Back - 830 points

18. :NZL - Zac Reid - Men's 400m Free - 900 points

19.  :TUR - Berke Saka - Men’s 200m IM - 897 points

20. :SGP - En Yi Letitia Sim - Women’s 200m Breastroke - 895 points (:ESP - Cesar Castro - Men's 200m Free - 879 points) (:ITA - Sofia Morini - Women's 200m Free - 878 points) 

21. :ROU - Denis-Lauren Popescu - Men's 100m Back - 873 points (:POL - Pauline Peda - Women's 100m Fly - 868 points) (:AUT - Bernhard Rietshammer - Men's 100m Breastroke - 865 points) (:IRL - Max Mc Cusker - Men's 100m Fly - 864 points) 

22.  :EGY - Youssef Ramadan - Men’s 100 Fly - 863 points

23. :BUL - Kaloyan Bratanov - Men’s 50m Free - 853 points-

24. :NED - Lotte Hosper - Women's 200m Back - 830 points

25. :POL - Mateusz Chowaniec - Men’s 100m Free - 904 points (:POL - Kamil Sieradzki - Men's 200m Free - 875 points) (:GRE Konstantinos Englezakis - Men's 200m Free - 871 points)

26. :TUR - Emre Sakci - Men’s 50m Free - 852 points

Other than the potential of the likes of :ITA and :ESP rejecting some of these OCT quotas, this should all be factually correct and accurate. 

Sorry for the delay again, here is the revised list of OCT qualifiers with relay only swimmers added. All the athletes in brackets, relay only swimmers, will qualify for the games once the swimmer next to them is invited to participate. The reason for this is because they don't count twice on the total athlete count, meaning once the non relay only OCT above them has qualified any relay only OCT below them can also be accepted as they don't take any places away from other non relay only OCT athletes. 

On 6/26/2024 at 6:59 PM, maestro said:

A swimmer has an OQT in event A and an OCT in event B.

There isn't anyone with an OQT from that NOC in event B.

Is that swimmer allowed to start in both events?

My answer would be certainly not, but apparently our federation thinks they are. 

From what I heard they can ASK for it.

It will be FINA's choice in the end, they have discretionary power to allow or not.

On 6/29/2024 at 9:16 PM, dullard said:

If they have the OQT and there are spots available why would they be entered as relay only to begin with?

I know this was a couple of days ago, but...

Brazil (as other countries) had their selection policy so even athletes with OQT were not selected to their individual events because they haven't done it during trials. So they would be officially selected as "relay only".

But in the end Brazil would have 11 relay only athletes, and one of them had an OQT on 100m freestyle (Marcelo Chierighinni), so he will have an entry to allow for another athlete to compete. Now Eduardo de Deus also got 400m OQT on Sette Colli, so not sure if he will have an entry on that event or be considered relay only.

What do you girls and guys think about Universality athletes being the same from previous Universality quotas?

I get it that sometimes they get their first quota while up-and-coming and maybe are at their career peak at 2nd or 3rd cycle.

And OBVIOUSLY they deserved their quotas being the best from the countries.

But at the same time I feel like it would be good for the development of the sport in the country if other athletes get it (specially regarding tripartite choices).

Perhaps it could have a 'ladder', like if they have been to an Olympic before (or 2) they have at least to reach an OCT or not have a second swimmer with 90% of their points or something like this.

1 hour ago, Pasolini said:

What do you girls and guys think about Universality athletes being the same from previous Universality quotas?

I get it that sometimes they get their first quota while up-and-coming and maybe are at their career peak at 2nd or 3rd cycle.

And OBVIOUSLY they deserved their quotas being the best from the countries.

But at the same time I feel like it would be good for the development of the sport in the country if other athletes get it (specially regarding tripartite choices).

Perhaps it could have a 'ladder', like if they have been to an Olympic before (or 2) they have at least to reach an OCT or not have a second swimmer with 90% of their points or something like this.

I think it should be one and done. Each country literally gets one every 4 years, and sending the same swimmer who still doesn’t have an OCT 3 Games in a row is not helping promote swimming