website statistics

Road Cycling Qualification to Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

1 hour ago, dodge said:

A long time to hang around if you’re not likely to win a medal, especially when a lot of the same women will follow the road race with track responsibilities 

There aren't any World Tour races before (or during) the Olympics once the Giro d'Italia wraps up this weekend. Plus, the next race will be the Tour de France right after the Olympics, so it would seem like a plus to be acclimatized to France and familair with the roads, etc. 

At least, that's my assessment of the situation. However, I'm not a pro cyclist and I only have a vague idea of what that career requires of people.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

How does the men's side look?

https://assets.ctfassets.net/761l7gh5x5an/5eUNF4iBWDyU3o384mPxL7/174ae40dc2ed7ce370672e845571fe62/20240702_Liste_des_NOC_qualifi_s_ME_2024.pdf

It's a little out of date, but that's what I found from the UCI. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

21 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

There aren't any World Tour races before (or during) the Olympics once the Giro d'Italia wraps up this weekend. Plus, the next race will be the Tour de France right after the Olympics, so it would seem like a plus to be acclimatized to France and familair with the roads, etc. 

At least, that's my assessment of the situation. However, I'm not a pro cyclist and I only have a vague idea of what that career requires of people.

The countries who said no don’t have any riders interested in doing it. Any world tour riders won’t need acclimatisation for France. The TT roads are different to the road race and the vast majority of those at the Olympic road race won’t be involved in the TDF.  

The small squads mean many countries only can choose one road racer and some of them just won’t want to give up 10 days or so in an Olympic village 

It’s just not that a big a deal that someone who is chosen for the road road doesn’t want to do the ITT

1 minute ago, dodge said:

The countries who said no don’t have any riders interested in doing it.

Yeah, that was my line of thought too. NOCs will likely priortize events where they feel like they can achieve the best result.

3 minutes ago, dodge said:

It’s just not that a big a deal that someone who is chosen for the road road doesn’t want to do the ITT

I'd agree with you on this too.

2 hours ago, dodge said:

Women’s time trial is Saturday 27th. 

The road race is 8 days later

A long time to hang around if you’re not likely to win a medal, especially when a lot of the same women will follow the road race with track responsibilities 

Ireland refused a re-allocated spot and tbh, I’ve no issue with it at all 

If track is a thing for them, alright. But if an athlete would only do the road race plus the time trial, I'd assume any athlete would prefer going for both than only for the road race (especially from the countries that refused a time trial spot, other than Australia the "participating is more important than winning" motto applies to basically all of them). It's 8 days later like you said, not like the time trial is going to mess up someone's road race chances (especially since as far as I know, it's not like you're obligated to stay in the village in the mean time).

Anyhow, as long as the choices were made by the athletes and not the NOC's, alright :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!