website statistics

Summer Olympic Games 2020 Medal Count

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I assume that's because 90% of Canadian men seek a career in ice hockey? :p

I doubt that. Soccer is the sport practiced by youth in Canada.

Men's sport is arguably more competitive worldwide (as in more competitive nations/athletes) and therefore it would need more funding to keep up. However that won't fly here.

1 minute ago, intoronto said:

I doubt that. Soccer is the sport practiced by youth in Canada.

Men's sport is arguably more competitive worldwide (as in more competitive nations/athletes) and therefore it would need more funding to keep up. However that won't fly here.

Canada doesn't stand much of a chance to becoming a force in men's football. What is the most successful Olympic sport for Canada at SOG outside of athletics anyway? I have a hard time recalling anything in particular :mumble:

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Canada doesn't stand much of a chance to becoming a force in men's football. What is the most successful Olympic sport for Canada at SOG outside of athletics anyway? I have a hard time recalling anything in particular :mumble:

Our top three sports historically are athletics, swimming and rowing, but Canada is more of a generalist rather than focusing on a limited amount of sports. This gives us a lot of diversity in our medals, but at the same time we suffer from "being good, but not the best" a lot.

3 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Our top three sports historically are athletics, swimming and rowing, but Canada is more of a generalist rather than focusing on a limited amount of sports. This gives us a lot of diversity in our medals, but at the same time we suffer from "being good, but not the best" a lot.

It sure changes over time here as well. Poland used to be a powerhouse in boxing & weightlifting and we completely suck in these sports these days (especially in the former, no boxing medals since 1992). Our wrestling has seen better days too.

I assume cold weather limits the potential for outdoor sports in Canada? I guess your summer months aren't very long or too warm either?

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It sure changes over time here as well. Poland used to be a powerhouse in boxing & weightlifting and we completely suck in these sports these days (especially in the former, no boxing medals since 1992). Our wrestling has seen better days too.

I assume cold weather limits the potential for outdoor sports in Canada? I guess your summer months aren't very long or too warm either?

Depends where you are, near Vancouver it's warm enough all year round (as in rarely goes below 0C) to practice which is why that province has the most athletes per capita competing here. The size of the country is also another issue where it is hard to have a centralized sport center for each sport.