website statistics
[OFF TOPIC] General Chat
Posted

I’m curious if any other countries/states/regions 

/etc. have “dueling” holidays like we have in California/U.S today.

I was reminded today was Indigenous Peoples’ Day in California when my university welcomed indigenous groups to perform folk songs/dances on campus. However, other states and the federal government celebrate the day as Columbus Day, or in some cases, celebrate both as a holiday today. It’s a weird situation that rises from the legacy of colonization in the Americas and modern political discourse. I’m curious if there are situations of “duel” holidays like this in other places because it’s odd seeing different messaging for established holidays on the same day. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread
Posted
2 hours ago, konig said:

Well, at least me, i dont believe in "minorities rigths", the minorities are not diferent of the majorities, saldy the wokism make a mess with that.

Equity isn’t the same as equality though, and to be honest, I don’t think indigenous peoples have ever been treated equal to those of European ancestry in the Americas. There’s been some improvements in the last few decade as to how our nations treat indigenous peoples, but I still think there’s (understandably) a lot to desire from their end.

Many of our countries have actively tried to suppress their languages, kill their cultures, and steal their resources at some point in history. It doesn’t seem like that far of a stretch to maybe rethink how we honor the legacy of indigenous peoples and move forward to a more constructive relationship.

Personally, I think honoring land claims, paying reparations, and giving remaining indigenous groups some form of autonomy isn’t that outlandish. Those are just my thoughts on the matter though.   

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

[OFF TOPIC] Movies & TV Series Thread
Posted
9 minutes ago, rybak said:

I see that nobody here didn't mention yet anything about prequel of Game of Thrones, the House of the Dragon. I watched both episodes (the third episode will air in 3 hours) and I'm enjoying of that almost as much as I enjoyed GoT, what are your opinions of that serie?

I haven’t gotten around to watching it properly yet, but I’ve seen some clips and it’s seems like a solid production at the least. I read there’s a time jump coming up, where some of the actors will change, so might be wise to reserve opinions until after that…

Posted

Meanwhile, Chile will vote to either approve or reject a new Constitution today. It’s being billed as one of the most important votes in the country’s history. Results are expected a few hours after the vote from what I’ve read.

Posted

So I’d only seen the train crash scene from Super 8 on YouTube, but saw the film was available on HBO MAX recently. I finally watched the whole film, and I thought it was a great love letter to 70s/80s extraterrestrial/paranormal films. I don’t remember it releasing in 2011, but apparently it did moderately well. I’m surprised it didn’t get some more critical nods. Glad the kids got some awards though. They really carried that film.

Posted

I don’t know if For All Mankind is on people’s radar outside the United States, but I’ve found it to be a throughly enjoyable series. Third season started a bit slow for me, but there were some great moments and reveals towards the end of the season. 

Posted
33 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Next step is making sexual education illegal, because they obviously don't want people to be somewhat safe, and since the obvious goal is more misery all around, that'd be a logical next step.

There’s already states that don’t require sex education be taught in schools. 

51 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It's a complete travesty of the voting system. EBU openly claims they can rig the voting whichever way they want to if only some songs that were supposed to be unpopular receive too many votes from certain countries that can be deemed "illegal". What an absolute joke that is. I guess EBU really wanted Great Britain to win? Sorry, they have to rig the votes a little more next year :lol:

The evidence they present seems to allude to concerns about a vote sharing scheme, which one can definitely see being a potential issue worth clamping down on at Eurovision. However, if the EBU detects “irregular voting” they should just cancel those votes and not allow those countries to vote. That seems like a better solution in this situation to me. 

On 5/17/2022 at 1:10 PM, Monzanator said:

Six countries (Azerbaijan, Georgia, Montenegro, Poland, Romania & San Marino) had their jury votes annulled and EBU gave those points based on some mysterious voting patterns. Azerbaijan & Georgia jury wanted to give 12 points to Ukraine and EBU gave those 12 points to Great Britain :lol: 

The EBU put out a longer form explanation of this from their point of view today: https://eurovision.tv/mediacentre/release/ebu-statement-irregular-voting-2022

1 hour ago, Makedonas said:

Wild Dances > Stefania > 1944

I believe you meant 1944 > Stefania > Wild Dances :p

1944 is easily one of my favorite songs to come out of Eurovision.

4 minutes ago, LDOG said:

Btw where are all the deaf people here that were saying Italy was terrible? Did fine in both jury and televote...

My issue was that I like the recorded version more than the live performance. It’s already been on my playlist for months. It’s the best outright, just not this evening.