website statistics
Biathlon IBU World Championships 2023
Posted
45 minutes ago, hckošice said:

M. Remeňová + Šima for :SVK ...Oh dear :d... hope they´ll take at least some basket with them, chance for some mushrooming in the woods once they will be lapped very early

They could at least (legally) get some high antioxidant wild blueberries if this was in Kontiolahti :p 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2023
Posted
2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

And then we'll get the 'Most gold medals at a single world championships ever!' hype and such :p

Right, just forgetting that more and more events are being added all the time and so winning more medals is 'easier', but alright :p 

In fairness, it would be rather newsworthy if someone won every single event in their gender at any world championship. It’s one thing to be the best on a single day, other thing entirely to be the outright best on multiple days, across multiple distances, and different weather conditions. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Biathlon 2022 - 2023 Discussion Thread
Posted
On 12/28/2022 at 6:51 AM, heywoodu said:

I'm going for Christiansen/Tandrevold as main favourites.

They looked good in the first half, but they had some unfortunate misses at the start and finish of the second half. Still, WTC still enjoyable and unique as ever.

I think the pursuits are okay as they are unique to biathlon, so at least they offer something different from the rest of the program. That said, I agree with the popular criticism of them.

My suggestion: 5km Mass Start Sprint (5 1km loops, 4 shooting rounds). Contested with two semifinals of 60 athletes (top 60 from Sprint), and final of 30 athletes. 

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

I saw that is was not one of the biathletes and chuckled a little bit.  I love the hat.  The area looks very Soldier Hollow-esque.

Nah, there’s too many trees. The place that reminds me most of Soldier Hollow is Almaty. 

Biathlon IBU World Cup 2020 - 2021
Posted
15 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Which is a shame, Almaty was pretty awesome and according to our resident cross-country skier/former biathlete everything was handled and organized very well there, plus I remember the scenery was pretty cool.

Course has a reputation for being a lung buster too. 

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread
Posted
1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Oh I don't disagree at all, I just don't think having the World Cup Finals there is a good idea (yet). Nothing will make everyone happy, but a World Cup Final with the feel of an IBU Cup...meh. Nothing against IBU Cups by the way, I love them, but not as a major event :d 

Right, that’s why suggested scheduling North American stops early in the season.

It’s be cool if the first two World Cups rotated between North America and Asia each season.

Posted
28 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

It's not just the athletes who might not show up in very large numbers :p 

The IBU can’t grow the sport if they never leave Europe. Also, crowds were pretty good when the World Cup came to Soldier Hollow. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Werloc said:

Jokes aside, that type of travel might actually affect the quality of athletes for the end of the season, when they're already tired. 

Sure, there will be some athletes that absolutely nope out of that, but there are some countries that won't have that choice since they need to keep up on their nation cup points.

14 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Meaning this will end up being the perfect recipe for having an IBU Cup-like event as the World Cup Final. Great.

This the is the problem I’m concerned with. The only solution that I could even see remotely making all parties happy, would be to have Canmore and Soldier Hollow be the two pre-holidays World Cups, and then have the tour pick up in Europe after the holidays.

The main problem is that European fans/athletes complain anytime there’s World Cup stops in North America, and North American fans are always grumpy that the US/Canada only get host World Cups every 5 seasons or so, and generally at a point in the season, where half the athletes don’t show up.

Posted
50 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Cool to see Soldier Hollow and Canmore on it again...not very cool to have the World Cup finals there, unless something mad happens and all of a sudden the atmosphere will be Oslo-like (which I doubt).

Yeah, it was nice to see Soldier Hollow get another World Cup stop. I’m a little concerned about turnout since it’s at the end of the season after the European legs...

Biathlon IBU World Championships 2021
Posted
9 minutes ago, dcro said:

Moldova was very good today with not their best team. 22nd place with 0+15.

It would be nice to see them at Beijing 2022.

Posted
4 minutes ago, dcro said:

Still nobody lapped!

Kireyev escaped Eckhoff despite being on his third loop.

Korea just solved that problem for you.

Posted
6 minutes ago, dcro said:

Will Totallympians receive warnings for using the R word instead of RBF and such? :p

I’m assuming RBF is the Russian Biathlon Federation (I thought they were the RBU)? RBF means something a little different in the US (or in California at least) :p