Welcome to Totallympics, the home of Olympic Sports!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to other members, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Login | Create an Account

vinipereira

Winter Olympic Games 2018 News

De_Gambassi    84

I may be overthiniing here, but with the NHLers gone, one of the biggest adding value of the winter olympics is gone as well.

Keeping that in mind and with the many criticizes that plague the Winter Olympics (constant overbudget, bad press, less than stelar locations, etc.)I could see a future where FIS (and IBU) see some kind of winter skiing games - to be held every two years - as a better propostion than the Winter Olympics as they stand.

Not yet, but maybe one day at some point.

30 minutes ago, De_Gambassi said:

I may be overthiniing here, but with the NHLers gone, one of the biggest adding value of the winter olympics is gone as well.

Keeping that in mind and with the many criticizes that plague the Winter Olympics (constant overbudget, bad press, less than stelar locations, etc.)I could see a future where FIS (and IBU) see some kind of winter skiing games - to be held every two years - as a better propostion than the Winter Olympics as they stand.

Not yet, but maybe one day at some point.

Every now and then there's talk about moving some of the indoor sports from the summer games to the winter games. Sports like handball already have their world champs in the winter and track cycling is held at the end of winter.

Quasit    53
6 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Every now and then there's talk about moving some of the indoor sports from the summer games to the winter games. Sports like handball already have their world champs in the winter and track cycling is held at the end of winter.

And since both sports are played on neither ice nor snow, these proposals are nonsense. :d

De_Gambassi    84
il y a 26 minutes, JoshMartini007 a déclaré:

Yes, I know. and we could also see the 'spring games' happening at some point (an idea from the 60's IIRC). But that's not my point. I think at some point there might be a case for FIS (and IBU) to walk away from the Olympics and have its own games whithout the skating and sliding sports (which are the the ones that commend most of the infrastructure costs and thus the shitty locations and the bad press).

De_Gambassi    84

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1054788/ioc-raise-concerns-after-pyeongchang-2018-reveal-less-than-23-per-cent-of-tickets-sold

Citation

Only 22.7 per cent of tickets available for next year's Winter Olympic Games have been purchased so far with little more than five months to go until the Opening Ceremony, organisers revealed here today.

This figure is thought to mark the lowest in recent Winter Olympic history at this stage of preparations.

Only 4.85 per cent have been sold in South Korea, even though it was forecast that the host nation will account for 70 per cent of the overall total.

The remainder sold so far have been bought by Authorised Ticket Resellers (ATRs) for international purchase - so are not necessarily yet in the hands of clients planning to attend the Games. 

insidethegames has been told that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have raised significant concerns about ticket sales during the Coordination Commission inspection visit which closes here today.

They are worried that South Korean organisers are not using the right strategies in order to sell tickets and, despite repeated promises, have not done enough to improve their promotional efforts.

A total of 1.18 million tickets are available for the Olympics.

It is hoped that 90 per cent of this total, so 1.07 million, will be sold beforehand.

Only 52,000 have been sold in South Korea so far, of which 62 per cent were supposedly purchased in the Seoul Metropolitan Area and around 83 per cent by people aged between 20 and 40. 

Organisers claim to remain confident that the start of the second phase of online sales on Tuesday (September 5) will help raise interest in the host nation. 

heywoodu    945

Maybe South Koreans are a little like Americans, buying their tickets on the day before or the day of the event instead of months in advance :p 

Oh well, I doubt the Koreans will give two fucks about cross-country skiing so I'm still hopeful I might be able to get tickets for that in January when I know whether or not I want to go to the Olympics. 

phelps    88
4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Maybe South Koreans are a little like Americans, buying their tickets on the day before or the day of the event instead of months in advance :p 

Oh well, I doubt the Koreans will give two fucks about cross-country skiing so I'm still hopeful I might be able to get tickets for that in January when I know whether or not I want to go to the Olympics. 

don't worry...South Koreans are only going to buy some tickets for those events where they are supposed to win medals...

they won't spend a cent on events where's no strong participation of their athletes...

and with the political situation going on up North of the border, I guess that very few "Western" people are going to fly to Pyeongchang...

so, I guess that, if the Olympics will really go on stage in february in South Korea (and I'm not sure we can take it for granted right now), we will see many events contested in front of just the athletes' relatives (or maybe not even them)...:facepalm:

dcro    771

It's very similar to Daegu 2011. For some reason Koreans like to organize the events that don't interest their people.

Edited by dcro

heywoodu    945
1 hour ago, phelps said:

don't worry...South Koreans are only going to buy some tickets for those events where they are supposed to win medals...

they won't spend a cent on events where's no strong participation of their athletes...

and with the political situation going on up North of the border, I guess that very few "Western" people are going to fly to Pyeongchang...

so, I guess that, if the Olympics will really go on stage in february in South Korea (and I'm not sure we can take it for granted right now), we will see many events contested in front of just the athletes' relatives (or maybe not even them)...:facepalm:

Sounds like if I'm going (which would mean my best friend is participating) I'm going to have to bring some Brazilian flags to make it all look a bit more exotic :d 

Maybe bring some air horns and stuff and hand them out to people around me :p 

Edited by heywoodu

ahjfcshfghb    52
49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sounds like if I'm going (which would mean my best friend is participating) I'm going to have to bring some Brazilian flags to make it all look a bit more exotic :d 

Maybe bring some air horns and stuff and hand them out to people around me :p 

I might be going as well! If we meet, definitely at the Women's 10km. I'll try getting a Brazilian flag...

• Like 1

intoronto    136

South Koreans do everything last minute. So give it time. Also Toronto 2015 had sold similar amount of tickets at 5 months to go but it was the best attended Pan Am Games ever. Give it time, and it will work.