website statistics

Poll 39|100 | Controversial Topic | If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

Poll 39/100  

62 members have voted

1. 1. If you had the power to remove one of the Olympic Sports/Discipline at Tokyo what would it be?

• Artistic Swimming
    • Rythmic Gymnastics
    • Boxing
    • Weightlifting
    • Greco Roman Wrestling
    • Trampoline
    • Surfing
    • Skateboarding
    • Baseball/Softball
    • Sport Climbing
    • BMX Freestyle
    • Men's U23 Football
    • Fencing
    • Golf
    • Modern Pentathlon
    • Karate
    • 3*3 Basketball
    • Any Other

1 hour ago, Jinzha said:

Other for me: shooting. I see absolutely no merit in shooting guns as an Olympic discipline, I don't even consider it a sport really. I was surprised it wasn't on the list.

So what is your take on archery and curling?

I am also not sure why shooting should be an Olympic sport, but not darts. I think either you consider both of them a sport or none (not that I would like to see darts at the Olympics).

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, phelps said:

as many already know :p imho many of the listed activities are not even to be considered "sports" and should all be thrown off the Games...:evil:

Artistic Swimming, Rhythmic Gymnastics, Trampoline, Park Skateboarding are just a few of them...

and I'd happily get rid of quite a few other sports from the current schedule...:pope:

but the poll is about 1 and only 1 sport to be removed...so, I picked the best "example" of non-sport activity (and the most boring to me)...Artistic Swimming, of course...:stop: :redcard:

How is trampoline not a sport? Also do you feel the same about Diving for example?

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

1 hour ago, hckošice said:

whatever drawn from the pot Basketball, Baseball, Softball ...or M Football, there too many team sports stealing plenty of quotas from other sports

No way that basketball shouldn’t be at the Olympics. You certainly could discuss the other sports, but I think the better option would be to have less teams (8 per sport).

Personally I think the Olympics has far too many events -the programme has grown like topsy and is now well over 300 events ( the Winter Olympics are worse as they seek to have any event anyone can think of to stretch out the programme -guess it's for TV especially American TV  )

So many sports are just not that international and would have trouble existing if they were not Olympic sports 

Maybe ironically the sports that everyone complains about as being undeserving of Olympic inclusion because they have their biggest  events outside the Olympics may in fact be the most deserving of inclusion as that indicates that they are widely popular 

I guess the best way would be ask every country to choose say 200 events  ( Summer and winter -why have different rules ? )that they want  and the say 200 with the most votes gets in 

If you need more content for TV purposes  then have demonstration sports 

14 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

So what is your take on archery and curling?

I am also not sure why shooting should be an Olympic sport, but not darts. I think either you consider both of them a sport or none (not that I would like to see darts at the Olympics).

I don't mind precision sports like archery, curling or darts, even if I don't enjoy (watching) them personally.

This might be a reach and a controversial one at that, but my reasoning is: the Olympics is also about inspiring a generation and no child should be inspired to take up shooting firearms, unless they are enrolled in a police academy or the army.

I know that stuff like archery bows and even javelins are also weapons in essence, but that's a very different story to me.

In the same argument I don't mind at all if kids are inspired to take up and strive for excellence in other 'controversial' Olympic sports like skateboarding, artistic swimming or breakdancing. 

I don't like combat sports, so all Boxing, Wrestling, Karate and co. could go.  

Artistic sports have some problems with judging and understanding who and why was winnig. However, I enjoyed watching e.g. figure skating and gymnastics with my girlfriend, so maybe there is a chance to make it more transparent. 

Then there are sports that have problems to attract the best for the games (U23 Football, obviously - golf and baseball). So, if i were removing something than something from these lists. 

Olympics are also about diversity in sports and interest and I perfectly fine with having sports, which are fundamentally different from others and attract other/ new people to Olympics. Even I do not like or understand it. I do not have to follow all the sports of the program.

Artistic swimming-  the only sport with 100% accuracy in predicting medals. It's boring af, is judged and is not really a sport. 

Shooting would be next for me. It's slowly losing its relevance in the international stage.... would not be surprised to see it gone soon.