website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@hckosice I remember reading a book about the Czechoslovak President during the Second World War, and how he struggled to gain his countries freedom and his governments recognition. I don’t remember the name of the book, but it was fascinating read.

I have no idea which book you meant, but during WWII Czechoslovakia did not existed, since 1938 after the sadly known "Munich agreement (here called: Munich betrayal) between Nazi Germany, Italy, GB and France" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement  Czechoslovakia was dissolved, with the Czech part becoming the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and Slovakia became shamefully a cleric-fascist Hitler´s puppet Republic, after the end of the war both parts were thankfully reunited again in new Czechoslovakia.

So I guess you meant Edvard Beneš ? the president before and after WWII  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Beneš

3 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I have no idea which book you meant, but during WWII Czechoslovakia did not existed, since 1938 after the sadly known "Munich agreement (here called: Munich betrayal) between Nazi Germany, Italy, GB and France" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Agreement  Czechoslovakia was dissolved, with the Czech part becoming the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia and Slovakia became shamefully a cleric-fascist Hitler´s puppet Republic, after the end of the war both parts were thankfully reunited again in new Czechoslovakia.

So I guess you meant Edvard Beneš ? the president before and after WWII  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edvard_Beneš

I don’t remember much about the book, but it was about the ruler in exiles government in London. Which as in historian knows London was because the head of all real European governments at the time.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t remember much about the book, but it was about the ruler in exiles government in London. Which as in historian knows London was because the head of all real European governments at the time.

So it was about Beneš then, he was the "president" of the Czechoslovak government in exile in London

27 minutes ago, hckosice said:

So it was about Beneš then, he was the "president" of the Czechoslovak government in exile in London

Yes, it was a great read to. That man loved his country and tried hard to keep it democratic.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

33 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yes, it was a great read to. That man loved his country and tried hard to keep it democratic.

The guy was also really quite massively unlucky, he was two time president and both attempts ended by his resignations, first because of WWII and second because of Communist coup (that second subsequently costs his life)

I’m looking to get into Olympic collecting, but what do you guys think are things most worth collecting? Pins, collectibles, posters?

8 hours ago, bestmen said:

the highest statuate in the world built in India 182 m 'sardar vallabhai' 

5bd62d285ff4e90c298bcc48.jpg

5bd62d2e5ff4e90c298bcc49.jpg

Statue of Unity is dedicated to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, first Home Minister of independent India. At the time of independence, apart from British occupied territories, we also had a large number of kingdoms (small and large). Sardar Patel as Home Minister integrated them all to form the present boundaries of Republic of India. Statue of Unity will be unveiled on 31st October, birth anniversary of Sardar Patel.