website statistics

Men's Field Hockey FIH World Cup 2023

Totallympics

• 8 months later...

Personally I love Bhubaneswar, it's a pity I don't have time to watch the matches. The venue in Rourkela is good but logistically very difficult to reach. Just 1 flight per day from Delhi and Bhubaneswar to Rourkela is quite some distance by bus/train with flights not available to visitors.

So schools and colleges have been given holidays in Odisha where the world cup is being held. The hockey fever is gripping the state with people, media all talking about it as even holiday has been given on occasion opening ceremony.

Outside Odisha, and hockey hubs of Jharkhand, Punjab, Haryana, people don't really care about the world cup. Most Indians don't know the world cup is being held in India or know even 1 hockey player in current squad. 

Edited by Fly_like_a_don

2 hours ago, Fly_like_a_don said:

So schools and colleges have been given holidays in Odisha where the world cup is being held. The hockey fever is gripping the state with people, media all talking about it as even holiday has been given on occasion opening ceremony.

Outside Odisha, and hockey hubs of Jharkhand, Punjab, Haryana, people don't really care about the world cup. Most Indians don't know the world cup is being held in India or know even 1 hockey player in current squad. 

Wow, holidays even? :yikes: Like one day?

We wouldn't even have that if the World Cup football is in the Netherlands :d 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

once again, it looks that most Countries in the world will have to rely only on the watch.hockey website/app* to follow the event...and once again it looks that it's gonna be behind a pay-wall, which means that nobody would eventually watch a single minute of the World Cup (myself included).

*app that's only available on mobile devices and not on smart TVs and/or connected devices.

good job, well done! dear International Hockey Federation! :thumbup:

On 1/11/2023 at 4:06 PM, phelps said:

once again, it looks that most Countries in the world will have to rely only on the watch.hockey website/app* to follow the event...and once again it looks that it's gonna be behind a pay-wall, which means that nobody would eventually watch a single minute of the World Cup (myself included).

*app that's only available on mobile devices and not on smart TVs and/or connected devices.

good job, well done! dear International Hockey Federation! :thumbup:

The matches are streamed live and free in Fancode app and website but only in India. Perhaps you would need VPN to watch it

Dutch team doesn't play well against Malaysia. Too many technical mistakes. I expected a lot more of our young team. Hopefully their level will go up in the next match against New Zealand.

Australia made the best impression in the first matches. In my opinion biggest favourite for the title.

Unlike the women's, things are so predictable in men's hockey right now...  

This group stage literally has only 4 games in which I have any kind of doubt of who the winner will be: 

ENGvIND 

RSAvFRA 

GERvBEL 

KORvJPN 

That's it, every other game already has a winner set before the start.