website statistics

Tennis Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

Wanderer

5 hours ago, Nickyc707 said:

I think had he gone he'd have been more likely to team up with Skupskl who he's played with a fair bit.

I think Andy's super low current ranking was an issue - he really wanted to play doubles (where he might still actually have a shot at a medal if the gods smiled) but he and Jaime couldn't get in on combined ranking and Jamie had shown some prior reluctance. His only route in was Salisbury who as a top 10er had a basically free choice.

Looks like the first mixed doubles team will be Salisbury and Konta, which actually sounds quite strong. I do wonder if Dan or Neal might try and hook up with Heather Watson who's actually a pretty accomplished mixed doubles player. I'd assume, unlike 2012, Andy's neither got the ranking nor the hip to do all three events.

Romantically, it's fabulous the two time Olympic champ is coming back for one last roll of the dice - The Games are a part of Murrays legacy, and Murray part of the Games legacy in tennis that even the Big three don't quite match. Even with two Wimbly wins, in a sense the Olympics are Murray's Major (not unlike how the Ryder Cup became, in some ways Monty's Major).

9 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Still no answer from ITF about the eventual acceptance of Lukáš Klein for the Doubles with Polášek... :wall:

however Filip is already mega happy wearing the Tokyo :SVK uniforms :d

obrázok.png

Isn’t he in the Top 10 and has a guaranteed place

2 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I think Andy's super low current ranking was an issue - he really wanted to play doubles (where he might still actually have a shot at a medal if the gods smiled) but he and Jaime couldn't get in on combined ranking and Jamie had shown some prior reluctance. His only route in was Salisbury who as a top 10er had a basically free choice.

Looks like the first mixed doubles team will be Salisbury and Konta, which actually sounds quite strong. I do wonder if Dan or Neal might try and hook up with Heather Watson who's actually a pretty accomplished mixed doubles player. I'd assume, unlike 2012, Andy's neither got the ranking nor the hip to do all three events.

Romantically, it's fabulous the two time Olympic champ is coming back for one last roll of the dice - The Games are a part of Murrays legacy, and Murray part of the Games legacy in tennis that even the Big three don't quite match. Even with two Wimbly wins, in a sense the Olympics are Murray's Major (not unlike how the Ryder Cup became, in some ways Monty's Major).

I'm not sure that a country can enter more than one mixed doubles pairing. I think it's just sixteen pairs in total. Could have changed but I don't think so. 

1 minute ago, Nickyc707 said:

I'm not sure that a country can enter more than one mixed doubles pairing. I think it's just sixteen pairs in total. Could have changed but I don't think so. 

:USA won gold & Silver in Rio in Mixed Doubles, so I guess max 2 teams are allowed