website statistics

Fencing Qualification to Tokyo 2020 Summer Olympic Games

phelps

8 hours ago, Benolympique said:

Wouldn't it be more logical to qualify according to the world ranking?

Majority of the qualification is through ranking only. Only 4 quotas per event are through continental qualifiers. We can see those quotas as universality places to promote the sport. 

• 1 month later...

Looking at the women's draw, TUN-EGY and VEN-KAZ are the two most important matches in R32. If Tunisia loses and Venezuela wins, Africa will lose their quota and both Hungary and Ukraine will qualify. No offense to Tunisia, but that would probably be the best outcome for fencing. 

If Tunisia qualifies, Ukraine will need to reach the final to have a chance for the quota, we will qualify no matter what if they will fail. We will secure our quota if we get the bronze at the very least, even if Ukraine wins the event. 

Men's sabre - France and Russia will battle for the team quota tomorrow, the rest is confirmed:

Team: :KOR:ITA:HUN:GER:IRI:USA:EGY and one of Russia/France

Individual:

:GEO Sandro Bazadze

:FRA / :RUSApithy/Ibragimov

:TUN Fares Ferjani

:CHN Xu Yingming

:JPN Kento Yoshida

:CAN Shaul Gordon

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

Looking at the women's draw, TUN-EGY and VEN-KAZ are the two most important matches in R32. If Tunisia loses and Venezuela wins, Africa will lose their quota and both Hungary and Ukraine will qualify. No offense to Tunisia, but that would probably be the best outcome for fencing. 

If Tunisia qualifies, Ukraine will need to reach the final to have a chance for the quota, we will qualify no matter what if they will fail. We will secure our quota if we get the bronze at the very least, even if Ukraine wins the event. 

Our fate is heavily bond to Hungary and Tunisia too. Too many possible outcomes and I can’t even calculate them very clear. Just wait and pray. But I do have a question why Hungary seeded 6th and Ukraine seeded 5th? Anyone has idea?

17 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Our fate is heavily bond to Hungary and Tunisia too. Too many possible outcomes and I can’t even calculate them very clear. Just wait and pray. But I do have a question why Hungary seeded 6th and Ukraine seeded 5th? Anyone has idea?

In World Cups only the top 4 teams are seeded exactly according to world ranking. The rest are drawn in pairs (so the 5th ranked can be either 5th or 6th seeded, the 7th ranked can be either 7th or 8th and so on)

Iran will use the reserve guys in the Hungary Sabre World Cup in team event. :dunno:

I wonder if that affects other teams for the Olympic qualification, but I assume not much . it's between France and Russia but one of them may face Iran in the 5th-8th classification

4 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

In World Cups only the top 4 teams are seeded exactly according to world ranking. The rest are drawn in pairs (so the 5th ranked can be either 5th or 6th seeded, the 7th ranked can be either 7th or 8th and so on)

thanks I didn't know that, what about the Olympics, is it 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th etc ? or something like you said for the World Cup ?

6 minutes ago, MHSN said:

thanks I didn't know that, what about the Olympics, is it 1st vs 8th, 2nd vs 7th etc ? or something like you said for the World Cup ?

At the Olympics there is no draw, it's all set according to the FIE ranking at that time: 1st vs 8th (or the winner of 8th vs 9th if there are 9 teams), 4th vs 5th, 3rd vs 6th, 2nd vs 7th.