website statistics

Football European Super League

Federer91

3 hours ago, Vektor said:

I don't think that the Super League is bullshit, but that's mainly because it fits right into what I think professional football has become in Europe in the last few decades, which is why I don't really follow club football anymore. The rage is coming from people who wanted to live in an alternate reality where professional football isn't just an entertainment product like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but that reality doesn't exist anymore.

May be so for owners/investors but for fans, especially those from the local area who have been following the team through all their life, it is utter nonsense. Plenty of communities where the club is part of the culture. It's not like in USA where you "just" buy a team and move it wherever you want.

It's not about an alternate reality. It's about the way things are going. Fans have been against that for a long time, especially in teams like Liverpool and Man Utd

13 minutes ago, Agger said:

May be so for owners/investors but for fans, especially those from the local area who have been following the team through all their life, it is utter nonsense. Plenty of communities where the club is part of the culture. It's not like in USA where you "just" buy a team and move it wherever you want.

It's not about an alternate reality. It's about the way things are going. Fans have been against that for a long time, especially in teams like Liverpool and Man Utd

It's not the way things are going because the culture you are talking about will likely die out in the next decade or so for the top teams. Polling shows that the younger generation is the least resistant to the idea of the Super League because they aren't that loyal to the clubs, they are more loyal to the football stars that they like to follow on social media. 

Meanwhile it looks like the Champions League reform is officially happening with a swiss format and wildcards for teams that have the highest UEFA coefficient. In other words, the big clubs have won even if the Super League won't happen. 

3 minutes ago, Vektor said:

It's not the way things are going because the culture you are talking about will likely die out in the next decade or so for the top teams. Polling shows that the younger generation is the least resistant to the idea of the Super League because they aren't that loyal to the clubs, they more loyal to the football stars that they like to follow on social media. 

Meanwhile it looks like the Champions League reform is officially happening with a swiss format and wildcards for teams that have the highest UEFA coefficient. In other words, the big clubs have won even if the Super League won't happen. 

I have seen those polls as well, but really, a decade or so? Let's not make fans older than they are (and it's very clear that a lot of local fans, including younger ones, are disgusted by this)

17 minutes ago, Agger said:

I have seen those polls as well, but really, a decade or so? Let's not make fans older than they are (and it's very clear that a lot of local fans, including younger ones, are disgusted by this)

I am not saying that they are too old and will die in a decade, I am saying that in the long run they will either give up on the sport or the team they are supporting, as they are clearly not the "target audience" of these top teams anymore. They are supporting something that doesn't exist anymore. The top teams aren't normal football teams anymore, they are expensive entertainment products that want to earn more and more, as that's the ultimate goal of their business. The real winner of the current professional football landscape isn't the one who the takes the trophy, it's the one that earns more money. And once the fans finally realize that, they can either choose to accept it or find another club or hobby. 

30 minutes ago, Vektor said:

I am not saying that they are too old and will die in a decade, I am saying that in the long run they will either give up on the sport or the team they are supporting, as they are clearly not the "target audience" of these top teams anymore. They are supporting something that doesn't exist anymore. The top teams aren't normal football teams anymore, they are expensive entertainment products that want to earn more and more, as that's the ultimate goal of their business. The real winner of the current professional football landscape isn't the one who the takes the trophy, it's the one that earns more money. And once the fans finally realize that, they can either choose to accept it or find another club or hobby. 

Or try to make changes like getting 50+1 rules implemented. Stopped the German teams from joining the BS league. 

I think you negate the hardcore fans. Sure some will either accept or leave, but we've seen people making their minds on American owners very clear (especially United fans on Glazer but also LFC). Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty worried about the future, but I don't see fans stopping the fight within the next years.

9 minutes ago, Dragon said:

I will believe that when I see it happen, this feels like a bluff, just like the ban of the ESL players from EURO2020. UEFA would immediately lose a lot of money while the top clubs would be fine, they can even play unofficial matches with each other and declare an unofficial CL winner.