website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

CNN journalists have been released already. Of course the Minnesota Governor being from Democratic Party was personally involved there. Nice to know he walks on a CNN leash here, he wouldn't care acting so quickly for any random citizen but CNN is their media tube so he has to help them more than anyone else :lol:

Or because unlike the Gestapo thugs that arrested him, the governor realizes these men were compliant with orders, and were targeted for reporting the truth.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

We, journalists, will not tolerate totalitarian government’s heavy handed practices.

He asked multiple times before a arrested “Where do you want us?” “We’ll go wherever you need us to.” 

A totalitarian government would shut down CNN years ago. Hell, it wouldn't be allowed to even be created in first place :lol:

Ted Turner would be send to work in the mines in Alaska, that's totalitarianism for you! :evil:

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

I watched it live and the journalist could have easily called the studio to say they will resume the report like 5 mins later after they relocate. But he kept talking to the policeman instead. If you disobey police orders you will be taken away in handcuffs. It's that simple. I have little sympathy for the CNN powerhouse who has state Governor acting like their courier :lol:

Ah, no, that’s not how that works actually. When a citizen asks a police officer multiple times “where do you want me to move”, and emphasizes that he will comply with instructions, then he ought not to be treated like a criminal. What was his crime? Filming? Talking? Reporting? Those aren’t crimes in the U.S. This is a free country.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Ah, no, that’s not how that works actually. When a citizen asks a police officer multiple times “where do you want me to move”, and emphasizes that he will comply with instructions, then he ought not to be treated like a criminal. What was his crime? Filming? Talking? Reporting? Those aren’t crimes in the U.S. This is a free country.

Police can arrest anyone for 48 hours without pressing charges. That is the law in USA last time I checked? Just because you get arrested, it doesn't mean you're a criminal :p

Just now, Monzanator said:

Police can arrest anyone for 48 hours without pressing charges. That is the law in USA last time I checked? Just because you get arrested, it doesn't mean you're a criminal :p

I believe so, which actually says why we needed more criminal justice reform. This loophole should be absolutely illegal. This isn’t China and Russia, as much as  Trump wants it to be, we have rights (or at least we used to). 

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Or because unlike the Gestapo thugs that arrested him, the governor realizes these men were compliant with orders, and were targeted for reporting the truth.

This doesn't really sound like Gestapo ;) 

Terrible things happen and there are plenty of reasons to question the police, but there's a long way to Gestapo!
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/29/omar-jimenez-released-minnesota-protests-newday-vpx.cnn

2 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I believe so, which actually says why we needed more criminal justice reform. This loophole should be absolutely illegal. This isn’t China and Russia, as much as  Trump wants it to be, we have rights (or at least we used to). 

That would probably require striking down or re-writing the Fourth Amendment though. Not gonna happen. We know how US politicians are opposed to changing those 18th century bills of law :evil:

1 minute ago, Agger said:

Terrible things happen and there are plenty of reasons to question the police, but there's a long way to Gestapo!
https://edition.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/05/29/omar-jimenez-released-minnesota-protests-newday-vpx.cnn

I think American police do want to be the Gestapo, but we’re lucky the Constitution makes that difficult for them. I’m thankful the governor stepped in to stop this wrongful detention though. At least there’s still some decent people in government.

2 minutes ago, Agger said:

Americans aren't reliable sources on Gestapo, I'd largely ignore their take on the matter ;) They probably never heard of Sicherheistdienst either :p

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Americans aren't reliable sources on Gestapo, I'd largely ignore their take on the matter ;) They probably never heard of Sicherheistdienst either :p

Polish aren’t a reliable source on democratic governments as well, so I wouldn’t trust your opinion on my country either.