website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That's literally everywhere in the world though.

Right, but at least in most places we go to the other places without worry.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Right, but at least in most places we go to the other places without worry.

I'd still go to every place I want to go in the US without worry (apart from a general feeling of uneasiness whenever I walk in a big city no matter where it is in the world, but that has nothing to do with potential mass attacks).

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

32 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is the attitude that got us into this mess. Mass Shootings shouldn’t be old or new news because they shouldn’t take place in the first place. We don’t have to be a gun country. Australia was once a gun country, and they’ve had little problems since they’re successful gun control measures. Guns are made for killing, that was why they were invented. The only ever gun I’ll be ok with someone owning is a single shot rifle/shotgun or a air pistol/shotgun. It shouldn’t be political. It should be, oh shut we have a problem let’s fix it so our children stop dying.

History of gun possession has gone so far in USA it's rooted in your culture. You can't change that overnight with some Congress bill anymore. I could argue NRA is the third biggest political party in USA that holds both GOP & Dems hostage because of its influence. In Poland it's notoriously difficult to obtain a gun permit and air pistols are mostly in use. You must be a lawyer, prosecutor or some hot-shot businessman to obtain a permit for a gun. Hunting rifles are common but semi-automatic guns are basically reserved for organized crime. The biggest "mass shooting" in peacetime Poland occured in 1925 when two students detonated a hand granade in Vilno which killed them, two other students & a teacher. And yeah, that was almost 100 years ago while both perpetrators were mentally unhinged veterans of the Polish-Soviet War of 1920 :crazy:

13 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Is it really though? I can guarantee you there are some countries where i can feel much safer being out in the night, than many other. 

Oh absolutely, not denying that. Just saying the kind of 'regular' crime (robberies, break ins) happens everywhere, of course not everywhere in the same amount.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

9 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Oh absolutely, not denying that. Just saying the kind of 'regular' crime (robberies, break ins) happens everywhere, of course not everywhere in the same amount.

Well as I’ve already said my town is middle-lower class, so they’re a little more frequent here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

55 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is the attitude that got us into this mess. Mass Shootings shouldn’t be old or new news because they shouldn’t take place in the first place. We don’t have to be a gun country. Australia was once a gun country, and they’ve had little problems since they’re successful gun control measures. Guns are made for killing, that was why they were invented. The only ever gun I’ll be ok with someone owning is a single shot rifle/shotgun or a air pistol/shotgun. It shouldn’t be political. It should be, oh shut we have a problem let’s fix it so our children stop dying.

I agree with you. Like i said, the gun control should be much, much harder. There should be different requirements, before obtaining a gun. But for me, it is not possible to completely remove all guns from the americans. And it's not because of the culture.

The US is so different and vast, that i see the reason why people want to have a gun. You could be on a farm in Kansas somewhere, with no one near you for many miles. And some psycho comes and attacks you or your property. What can you do to protect yourself. Call the police, sure, but when they could come in an hour, what kind of use are they going to be? Or you are in the big city, and you are going home at night and someone jumps you in the alley. Or you are on the subway, where there is always a group of idiots, that wan't to start a fight for their amusement, or because they don't like how you stare. If people don't feel safe in the society they live in, it's natural they want to have a way to self-protect. 

I haven't used a gun in my life, but if i had to live in the US, with the way things are, i would hesitate not to get one just for the same reason. I definitely won't feel as safe there, as i feel in Bulgaria.

16 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

I agree with you. Like i said, the gun control should be much, much harder. There should be different requirements, before obtaining a gun. But for me, it is not possible to completely remove all guns from the americans. And it's not because of the culture.

The US is so different and vast, that i see the reason why people want to have a gun. You could be on a farm in Kansas somewhere, with no one near you for many miles. And some psycho comes and attacks you or your property. What can you do to protect yourself. Call the police, sure, but when they could come in an hour, what kind of use are they going to be? Or you are in the big city, and you are going home at night and someone jumps you in the alley. Or you are on the subway, where there is always a group of idiots, that wan't to start a fight for their amusement, or because they don't like how you stare. If people don't feel safe in the society they live in, it's natural they want to have a way to self-protect. 

I haven't used a gun in my life, but if i had to live in the US, with the way things are, i would hesitate not to get one just for the same reason. I definitely won't feel as safe there, as i feel in Bulgaria.

Exactly how I feel, that’s why I totally cool with people owning a single shot shotgun (for hunting or defense) or a single shot rifle, though I’d prefer people use a taser unless the guy is coming at you with a gun. I believe anyone can own a stun gun or taser in the US. I’ve even seen brass knuckles that can stun people.

27 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Exactly how I feel, that’s why I totally cool with people owning a single shot shotgun (for hunting or defense) or a single shot rifle, though I’d prefer people use a taser unless the guy is coming at you with a gun. I believe anyone can own a stun gun or taser in the US. I’ve even seen brass knuckles that can stun people.

Brass knuckles are legal too? :yikes: