website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] Politics Thread

Wanderer

13 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Neah, newspapers only care about selling numbers. What makes those papers sell is unimportant. Case in point: News of the World hacking a dead girl's phone just to get a story. Journalism is one of the last places where you can find noble people doing noble things.

Yep. And to do so, they report on notable things, like I said. A country descending so far into religious oppression so quickly is notable, wherever it is.

Spoiler

Only a few weeks ago I saw a piece on some Dutch towns where they're so insanely strictly Christian, they're not 'allowed' to have TV's and their kids have to cycle 20km (back and forth) to another town because the school wasn't strict enough.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Yep. And to do so, they report on notable things, like I said. A country descending so far into religious oppression so quickly is notable, wherever it is.

Hide contents

Only a few weeks ago I saw a piece on some Dutch towns where they're so insanely strictly Christian, they're not 'allowed' to have TV's and their kids have to cycle 20km (back and forth) to another town because the school wasn't strict enough.

The fact islam doesn't tolerate homosexuality isn't notable, it's common knowledge :dunno:  It's like reporting the water is wet.

I guess Netherlands has gotten so far in their liberalism they are genuinely surprised people actually live a different life :lol:

The stuff of TV & bikes you're talking about is probably Mennonites which is basically the same thing as Amish in the USA (who are Dutch descendants in first place so basically the same stuff under a different name). Even Hollywood makes movies about them so I see no reason why this isn't common knowledge as well? They probably don't use electricity at all IIRC hence they don't watch TV.

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Indonesia is the most populous Muslim country in the world. I'm unsure whether reporting on LGBT community half way across the globe is really that significant :dunno:

We are not "Muslim country" but "predominantly Muslim country". There. Stop the generalization.

Just now, Monzanator said:

The fact islam doesn't tolerate homosexuality

just like in Poland , also the abortion :bye:

the church was always against the homosexuality , they falsified now the christianity at their way :lol:

so this religion is not  available any more

Edited by bestmen

54 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The fact islam doesn't tolerate homosexuality isn't notable, it's common knowledge :dunno:  It's like reporting the water is wet.

Like I said before, that is not the notable thing. The notable thing is how quickly a country went from relatively free to the complete opposite, at least in the eyes of a reporter doing his job. We can keep arguing about it, but I feel that's a bit senseless :p 

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

54 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

The stuff of TV & bikes you're talking about is probably Mennonites which is basically the same thing as Amish in the USA (who are Dutch descendants in first place so basically the same stuff under a different name). Even Hollywood makes movies about them so I see no reason why this isn't common knowledge as well? They probably don't use electricity at all IIRC hence they don't watch TV.

Nope, it's not Mennonites. It's rather complicated to translate these things right, but I think the Wikipedia page that comes closest to it (but not entirely 'hits' it) is this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Reformed_church

They do use cars and electricity and stuff like that, they have their own newspaper too (who's website - yes, it has one - is inaccessible on Sunday). In politics they don't really vote much for the general opinions of a party, they simply vote for the party that is literally the party made for their form of strict religion: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Political_Party

This party generally gets pretty much the same number of votes every time, and luckily doesn't play much of a major role (except for in places like my hometown, where it's the biggest party). Earlier this year they/their leader (who apart from all this extreme nonsense actually seems like a friendly guy, so that's kinda sad) signed the disgusting and despicable Nashville Statement, to get a bit of an idea what kind of people these are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_Statement

7 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Like I said before, that is not the notable thing. The notable thing is how quickly a country went from relatively free to the complete opposite, at least in the eyes of a reporter doing his job. We can keep arguing about it, but I feel that's a bit senseless :p 

You know just the other day an American tried to teach me that Italy ruled Poland back in the day which was an obvious lie so I don't have much trust in Dutch reporters talking about Indonesia of all places :rolleyes:

Just now, Monzanator said:

You know just the other day an American tried to teach me that Italy ruled Poland back in the day which was an obvious lie so I don't have much trust in Dutch reporters talking about Indonesia of all places :rolleyes:

If only the main points in the article would be confirmed by an Indonesian for all to see here...oh wait, they already were.

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

If only the main points in the article would be confirmed by an Indonesian for all to see here...oh wait, they already were.

Of course but it's a local problem nonetherless. I can't see islam getting tolerant with LGBT anytime soon, it can only get worse but it's truly not my problem.

As for the other stuff, wow, a religion founded in 2017? The protestants are getting more divided by the minute :p They are protesting the protestantism itself now or what?