website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2021

hckošice

how the qualification race works in Alpine skiing ? how many athletes qualify for the main round? something like top 25 + another 25 (but limited to only 1 per country) ? is it optional to use whoever you want in the final ?

I'm asking because I see the Iranian who had a DNF yesterday started the race today while  there was another skier (from Iran I mean) with a result (and not DNF) above him. :mumble:

not that it really matters, but I was just curious :d

5 minutes ago, MHSN said:

how the qualification race works in Alpine skiing ? how many athletes qualify for the main round? something like top 25 + another 25 (but limited to only 1 per country) ? is it optional to use whoever you want in the final ?

I'm asking because I see the Iranian who had a DNF yesterday started the race today while  there was another skier (from Iran I mean) with a result (and not DNF) above him. :mumble:

Yeah, "Officially" it is the top 25 from the qualification race and "best" skier from the next 25 non-qualified countries (they also must have no athlete in the top 50 pre-qualified), but apparently they allowed the 25 countries to select themselves which one skier they want as their participant.

4 minutes ago, hckošice said:

Yeah, "Officially" it is the top 25 from the qualification race and "best" skier from the next 25 non-qualfied countries, but apparently they allowed the 25 countries to select themselves which one they want as their participant.

Thanks :yes still interesting how they allow someone who didn't finish the race to qualify ! in most sports you have to finish the competition at least to qualify.

8 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Thanks :yes still interesting how they allow someone who didn't finish the race to qualify ! in most sports you have to finish the competition at least to qualify.

at your service, sir.

Well, you are not the first who unsuccessfully try to find any logic when it come to FIS decisions or rules, personally I gave up long time ago :d

26 minutes ago, MHSN said:

Top 25 than 25 nations not already qualified can enter one athlete, whether he finished qualifying race or not.

Just watched the run of Hubertus Von Hohenlohe. oh, dear lord, that crash ! he fell like from really slow pedestrian pace :lol: Also watched the race of the youngest skier here the :TPE kid, very very slow but managed to finish the run, however 61st which means he did not qualify for the top 60 who are allowed to start in the 2nd run

10 minutes ago, MHSN said:

{Takes a deep breath.}

Thursday’s race was two races at once.  For major countries it was a qualifying race, for minor countries it was a ranking race.  Since the minor countries were pre-qualified for the final, they could not be eliminated.

Think of ski jumping in reverse. In qualifying, numbers 70 (or whatever) to 11 must qualify, but World Cup 10 to 1 are already qualified, they qualify even if they do not jump, but get a low ranking.

{Sits back exhausted}. :thankyou: