website statistics

Athletes Retirements Thread

phelps

5 minutes ago, phelps said:

:ITA Caterina Banchelli (women's waterpolo) retires at only 24 years of age because of study/job ambitions :yikes: :facepalm:

https://www.oasport.it/2024/09/pallanuoto-femminile-caterina-banchelli-annuncia-il-ritiro-agonistico-a-soli-24-anni/

What's so :facepalm: about wanting to make sure you can still have a life after your sports career (other than the default 'I was a good athlete so I will be a good coach' train of thought)? :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What's so :facepalm: about wanting to make sure you can still have a life after your sports career (other than the default 'I was a good athlete so I will be a good coach' train of thought)? :d 

the fact that she has to retire so early to reach her goals outside waterpolo at the highest possible level makes me disappointed

nothing against her choice (actually, full respect...I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision), but if a star of the game can't find economical safety and professional motivation to have a long career, that's sad, imho

5 hours ago, phelps said:

the fact that she has to retire so early to reach her goals outside waterpolo at the highest possible level makes me disappointed

nothing against her choice (actually, full respect...I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision), but if a star of the game can't find economical safety and professional motivation to have a long career, that's sad, imho

It saddens me that Federnuoto cares so little about women's water polo. We are clearly lagging behind, not only the men's team, but also other countries that used to be much weaker than us: Spain, Greece. I don't understand where is the problem? Federnuoto cares about the development of all the disciplines under its aegis, except for women's water polo, which is folding year after year.

Edited by copravolley