website statistics

Ice Hockey IIHF World Championships 2017

hckošice

MEN'S UNDER 18

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

8OkbIolrn8FlhggQUWWGCBBRp0uv8HQ0mwnsLWDY

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Relegation Round

Match 2
(1) Latvia LAT.gif 3 - 2 BLR.gif Belarus (1)
Period-by-Period: 1-0, 1-1, 1-1
A
pril 21st 2016, h. 17:30, Arena Spisska Nova Ves, Spisska Nova Ves

Latvians avoid relegation

Egle’s 3 points evens series with Belarus

CRD_3179_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Verners Egle’s second goal and third point of the game with 4:53 left in regulation time gave Latvia the win, and saved them from relegation - for now

“We scored as many goals today as we did the rest of the tournament,” Egle said after the game, and he’s right - Latvia scored three goals in its first five games of the tournament combined.

For the winner, it was Viktors Jasunov’s who cut in hard to the net and goaltender Andrei Grishenko saved it, but Egle swooped in from the opposite side to sweep in the rebound.

“Of course I’m happy with my game today - I don’t score that many goals,” said the Madison Capitols forward who scored five goals in 54 USHL and NAPHL games this season, “and I’m proud of my whole team. It was really difficult, but we knew we had to win, so we came out really hard.”

As opposed to yesterday, when they seemed back on their heels, the Latvians came out with quite a bit of jump in Game 2 and it was Egle who got the game’s first goal on the power play. Taking a pass on the right wing half-wall, he walked in to the faceoff dot and fired a wrister over the near-side shoulder of Andrei Grishenko and into the roof of the net.

“We got more shots to the net today, that’s why we came up with those rebounds and goals, and we worked on our power play and that helped us too,” Egle figured. “Today the boys were just more ready than yesterday.”

After getting somewhat outplayed in the first period, the Belarusians found their skating legs in the second period and started using their speed to generate chances. Midway through the period they tied it when Vladislav Yeryomenko burned a Latvian defenceman to the outside and cut in on Rauza. The Latvian goalie made the save but Sergei Sapego followed up the play and put in the rebound.

Belarus had some jump and nearly took the lead a minute later when Rauza made a great save off Vasily Filyayev, but it was Latvia who had the lead after 40 minutes. With just over three minutes remaining in the period, Deniss Smirnovs buried a loose puck as players were scrambling in front of the Belarus net.

Wanting to secure their place in next year’s tournament today, Belarus pushed hard again and Sapego’s point shot was tipped in by Andrei Pavlenko with 10:02 to play.

“I thought, ‘Oh no, not again!’” Egle admitted afterward. “But you’ve just gotta keep working through it. That’s what happens - it’s hockey.”

And the Belarusians continued to press. A minute after the equalizer there was a big scramble in Rauza’s crease, and the Latvian goalie couldn’t find the puck, but neither could any Belarusian forward as the puck slid parallel to the goal line and out the other side.

Eventually it was Egle who scored the winning goal, however. That means that everything will be decided on Sunday. The winner will stay up and the loser will be relegated to Division I, Group B.

“Oh yeah it’s a huge game,” Egle understated. “We’ll prepare just as always. We’ve got a day off and we’ll relax a little bit and come out ready.”

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Womens

Division I Group A World Championships 2017 in Graz (AUT)

Day 5 (21st April 2017)

GMT +2

Last Day

13:00  Norway vs Hungary  6-0

16:30  Japan vs France  4-0

20:00  Austria vs Denmark  6-1

:JPNJapan :champion: won the expected gold thanks perfect 5-0 record resulting in the 15 points. Japan will return quickly back to the top division where they will replace the Czech Republic relegated from this years Top Division played earlier in Michigan, USA.

Silver stay at home. Austria collected 12 points throughouth the tournament losing only to Japan.

Bronze medals will go to Norway. 3 teams finished the tournament tied with 6 points. so a mini-table of mutual results between all 3 teams was needed to rank them and Norway was the best in this table, which means the won bronze.

4th finished Denmark and 5th Hungary both also with 6 points. Austria, Norway, Denmark and Hungary will play this division also next year.

France finished in Last 6th place pointless, The french womens scored only 1 goal during this tournament, this was very very few, you can not win without scoring, and France finished then logically last and will be relegated to the Womens Division II Group B next year where they will replace Slovakia promoted from this years Womens Div IB played last week in Poland.

*PS things can and will very likely change, because during May IIHF council, very probably will be increased the womens top division World championships already from next year, this will means, that Czech Republic will stay in the top category and together with Japan will be also promoted Austria, France will stay in Division IA and altogether with Slovakia will be promoted to Div IA also the Div IB runner-up Kazakhstan and so on...

Mens

Under 18 Division I Group B World Championships 2017 in Bled (SLO)

Day 5 (21st April 2017)

GMT +2

Last Day

13:00  Italy s Poland  5-3

16:30  Ukraine vs Slovenia  3-4

20:00  Austria vs Japan  3-2 After OT

:SLOSlovenia :champion: won the home tournament gold and promotion to the Mens Under 18 Division I Group A World Championship next year where they will replace Hungary relegated from this years U18 Div IA tournament played in Bled as well few weeks ago. Slovenia dominated the tournament conceding only 1 lose and gaining 12 points.

2nd finished Austria with 10 points. The only team able to defeat the hosts during the tourney.

Bronze medals went to Japan with 8 points. After a very bad start they managed in later games to collect valuable points resulting in bit surprising medal.

4th Place for Italy with 7 points. The young Italians were fighting for the maintain until the very last matchday, but they won the most important game for them in this last day schedule against Poland, jumped to 4th rank and avoided the relegation down...

5th finished Ukraine with 6 points. Ukraine started the championship in a excellent way but since third game they lost all matches. Austria, Japan, Italy, Ukraine will play the Mens Under 18 Division I Group B also for the next year.

Poland finished last with 2 points. Zero wins for the young Poles during the tournament send them back down to the Mens Under 18 Division II Group A where they will replace Romania promoted team from this years U18 Div IIA played a couple of weeks ago in South Korea.

Tomorrow the Under 18 top division semifinals and start of the second higher Mens world championships floor.

Tomorrow will start the Mens Division I Group A World Championships in Ukraine. 

6 Nations :AUT:HUN:KAZ:POL:KOR and :UKR will battle for the two (2) available spots for the next years Mens Top Division in Denmark 2018 and to avoid last place and the relegation to the Mens Division I Group B 2018.

Mens

Division I Group A World Championships 2017 in Kyiv (UKR)

Day 1 Schedule (22nd April 2017)

GMT +3

13:30  Ukraine vs Hungary

17:00  South Korea vs Poland

20:30  Austria vs Kazakhstan

*Tournament Format:  6 Nations will play a single round-robin tournament. Each teams plays each opponent once. The first 2 ranked teams of the event will be promoted to the Top Division next year. The teams ranked from 3rd to 5th will play in this division also during the next years edition, The last-ranked team will be relegated to Division I Group B next year.

Livestream

Mens

Under 18 Top Division World Championships 2017 in Poprad and Spišská Nová Ves (SVK)

Day 9 Schedule (22nd April 2017)

GMT +2

Semifinals in Poprad

15:30  Finland vs Russia 

19:30  Sweden vs United States

Livestream

MEN'S UNDER 18

DIVISION I GROUP B

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wCnhKZ+ewK2qgAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slovenia on the rise

U18: Win over Ukraine clinches gold in Div. IB

18033437_10155120812245900_8736630576214

Slovenia won the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship Division I Group B on home ice, clinching gold with a 4-3 victory over Ukraine.

Austria, relegated from Division IA last year, and Japan, runner-up in this section 12 months ago, were expected to be the strongest challengers in Bled, with the host nation looking to improve on a fourth-place finish last time around. But Slovenia impressed in its warm-up games, winning twice in Budapest against a Hungarian team that took gold at this level in 2016. Then, on the opening day, an emphatic 10-0 victory over the Japanese made everyone aware of the potential of Mitja Kern’s team. Despite losing against the Austrians as the week progressed, Slovenia went into Friday’s game with Ukraine knowing that victory would guarantee gold.

But the Ukrainians, whose hopes of success were hampered by an inconsistent campaign, did everything they could to keep the competition alive until the final game, recovering a 0-3 deficit before losing out to Jakub Jugovic’s 52nd-minute goal. The defenceman, whose menacing presence on the blue line had already set up Slovenia’s opener, stepped up from the point to collect a pass from Erik Svetina. As Jugovic drifted wide, there seemed to be little open for him... but an angled shot flew through traffic and found the top corner with Mykyta Petlenko beaten. It was a mixture of joy and relief for the Slovenes, with the crowd in Bled excited by the team’s start to the game but increasingly anxious as Ukraine battled back into contention.

At first, though, it seemed that Slovenia would make serene progress through the game. Ukraine gave up two goals in the second minute – a wrist shot from Jugovic deflected home by Patrik Tislar, then Jaka Sturm converting Ziga Urukalo’s pass as the host punished a turnover – and starting goalie Artur Ohandzhanyan was gone from the game after just 104 seconds. When Rok Kapel made it three, converting Slovenia’s second power play of the game early in the middle frame, it felt like game over.

Ukraine had other ideas. It got its PK working at last to kill a long 5-on-3 advantage, then began to create chances at the other end. Dmytro Chorny got one back on the power play, then two goals in a minute tied the game. Chorny’s shot created the first of them as Danylo Moroz forced home the rebound, then, on 36:55, Olexander Peresunko tied the game after Hlib Krivoshapkin’s shot was padded away. Slovenia thought it had regained the lead almost immediately after a scramble in the slot, but the officials ruled that a forward had encroached on Petlenko’s crease and the game remained level going into the final stanza.

The early chances went to Ukraine: Krivoshapkin got a good look before Peresunko was denied in a one-on-one breakout. But gradually the home team re-established itself and Jugovic managed to wrap up the win.

Slovenia’s progress was aided by several returning players. Jugovic, Svetina, Tislar, Sturm, Urukalo, Kapel and goalie Ziga Kogovsek were among those who featured in Italy this time last year, and they demonstrated what they had learned from the experience. Kogovsek played every minute of his team’s campaign, stopping 93.1% of shots for a GAA of 1.61. Jan Drozg, another returnee, led the tournament scoring with 5+8=13 after picking up an astonishing eight-point haul in that huge win over Japan. Drozg’s five-goal tally was matched by team-mate Rok Kapel, as well as Ukraine’s Peresunko and Italy’s Stephan Deluca, while Jugovic was the second top-scorer among defencemen behind Japan’s Daiki Miura.

Austria failed to win instant promotion back to Division IA, but did end on a winning note with a 3-2 overtime success over Japan in the final game of the tournament. Marco Rossi was the hero, tying the game with 94 seconds left in regulation time and grabbing the decider at 2:28 of overtime. That meant silver went to the Alps, and bronze to the Far East.

At the foot of the table, newly-promoted Poland battled hard and twice went to overtime. But it failed to record a victory and returns to Division IB next year. Italy took fourth place, one point ahead of Ukraine.

Results Thread

WOMEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wPTPigZzeo7UgAAACV0RVh0ZGF0ZTpjcmVhdGUAM

Japan back at the top

Women’s team seals promotion against host Austria

18033304_1110053625766084_58731231367022

Rolling past opponents in the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group A, exiting times are looming around the corner for Japan with top division hockey and the Winter Olympics to look forward to.

At the first attempt, Japan's women's national team propelled themselves back into life at the top. In February they won the Olympic Qualification tournament on home ice against Germany to earn their tickets to PyeongChang 2018. And on Thursday they secured Division I Group A gold and promotion to the next Women’s Worlds.

Needing only four games to wrap up top spot at the 2017 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship Division I Group A, their gold medals were sealed following a 4-1 win against hosts Austria, which was also undefeated after the first three games.

“Our strong team defence was the key for us,” said head coach Takeshi Yamanaka following their victory where they only conceded four goals in four games en route to clinching promotion. Japan will now aim to raise their game for the Winter Olympics in PyeongChang 2018 and the 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey Women’s World Championship in Finland.

Asia's highest representative in women's hockey had been in cruise control from start to finish at the Division I Group A in Graz. Emphatically winning the shots 117 against 36 in their three opening games had first seen them edge Hungary 1-0, then blanking Denmark 3-0 in their second game before seeing off a plucky Norway 5-3. When game four came around, Japan had it all in their own hands to wrap up proceedings, as they went head to head with hosts Austria for top spot.

In front of home crowd of 1,138 inside the refurbished Merkur Arena in Graz, it was the Austrians who came out the strongest against the tournament top seeds. A high-tempo start of the game by the hosts intensified further following a tripping minor on Japan's Sena Suzuki at 4:35.

But failing to capitalize would cost Austria dearly. Japan sailed away on a breakaway with Hanae Kubo's effort deflecting off Austria's Alessandra Lopez and past Theresa Hornich in Austria's net for Japan's opener after 11:35.

Austria continued to threaten as the first frame wore on. Winning the shots 9-8, Theresa Schafzahl and Denise Altmann went close after fine work from Anna Meixner behind Japan's cage.

But when the goal arrived, Japan and the lethal Kubo were at it again. On a power play, a finely worked move by Rui Ukita and Shiori Koike found Kubo in front of the net who found a chink in Hornich's armour. Japan's lead had doubled at 16:22 and finished the frame a manner which pleased Japan's head coach.

“It was difficult at first with the speed and pressure from Austria, but we managed to get back quickly into the game,” said Yamanaka.

Japan came out roaring as the puck was dropped for the middle frame. They got their reward for their endeavour and crisp skating at 3:45 of the second period when Haruna Yoneyama picked out Moeko Fujimoto from the right who from close range backhanded home Japan's third high past a helpless Hornich in Austria's net. Calling for a time-out saw Austria's head coach Pekka Hamalainen try to get the verve back into his troops, but little did it help as Japan steamed on looking for more goals. A one-sided middle frame saw Japan win the shots 13-2 and at 27:04, a Suzuki drive from the blueline stretched Japan's lead to four unanswered goals.

In what had become an uphill struggle for the hosts, Hamalainen pulled Hornich from the net to replaced her with Jessica Ekrt. The home crowd finally got a glimmer of hope with 4:28 left of the second period as Eva Maria Beiter Schwarzler hit home Austria's first for the evening.

But having perfected the tactic to hold on to a lead, Japan's victory was never in doubt. While Austria went into the final frame seeking for another goal, Japan themselves squandered a number of fine scoring chances as captain Chiho Osawa missed a one-on-one with Ekrt and only seconds later Ukita hit the crossbar. By then most of the onlookers inside the Merkur Arena had given up on any hopes for a fightback from their home favourites. With 2:59 left of the game the Mission Impossible soundtrack was echoing out from the arena speakers ahead of a face-off as Japan was to hold on to their lead with admirable discipline before muted celebrations ensued as promotion was guaranteed.

“I am disappointed, we did play quite well, but it is a good Japanese team who defended well and all their lines are good skaters and play well for the team. We had chances to score, especially in the first period and if we could had scored there it might have been a different game,” said Austria head coach Hamalainen, who with nine points currently sits in second place and will take on Denmark in their final match.

Japan on the other hand, will have plenty of hard graft ahead of them with their third appearance at the Winter Olympics coming around next year for their experienced crop of roster with an average age of 25.

“Because we are not that tall, we need to focus even more on our speed, but also try and built up strength for us to be able to compete at the highest level,” said head coach Yamanaka.

Results Thread

I've never been more nervous about Junior hockey than i was some days ago. That quaterfinal match between us and the Czechs was amazing. I can't believe that we blew a 5-1 lead!!! I remember something terrible what happend back in 2003...  our GWG was epic!  in the last minute of OT! Now that's junior hockey! You never know what's coming :)

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wOdgLL7zwwgsvvPDCCy+88MKLK0Gl+n9Fdof1utL

Round-Robin

DAY 1

Ukraine UKR.gif 3 - 5 HUN.gif Hungary
Period-by-Period: 1-1, 2-1, 0-3
April 22nd 2017, h. 13:30, Palace of Sports, Kyiv

_Z7R5506.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R5534.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R5547.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R5561.jpg?height=550&width=750

_Z7R5640.jpg?height=550&width=750

MEN'S

DIVISION I GROUP A

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

wOdgLL7zwwgsvvPDCCy+88MKLK0Gl+n9Fdof1utL

Round-Robin

DAY 1

Ukraine UKR.gif 3 - 5 HUN.gif Hungary
Period-by-Period: 1-1, 2-1, 0-3
April 22nd 2017, h. 13:30, Palace of Sports, Kyiv

Hungary wins opener

Comeback effort vs. host Ukraine rewarded

_Z7R5632_Channel%20Homepage%20Slider.jpg

Top-seeded Hungary was close to lose its opening game against host and recently promoted Ukraine but came back with three third-period goals to earn a 5-3 win.

4,612 fans at the Palace of Sports saw an opening game with a lot of scoring opportunities on both sides but eventually it was Hungary which got the three points to the excitement of the Hungarian fan sector at the arena. Ukraine was close to an upset holding a 3-2 lead until midway the third period but Hungary, which outshot its opponent 51-24, eventually completed its comeback attempt late in the game.

While the second line created most of Hungary’s chances in the first two periods it was the first line with naturalized forwards Andrew Sarauer and Keegan Dansereau who scored the deciding goals.

“To play for Hungary and with this group of guys was a dream. I love the country and I’m happy to be part of this team,” said Dansereau, whose girlfriend is Hungarian. “The game was good, they came out hard, it was back and forth all game. I got the puck and buried it,” the Saskatoon-born forward said about the game and his game-winning goal.

“Unfortunately the other team was successful this time but we tried our best, the teams battled like soldiers,” commented Ukraine’s head coach Olexander Savitsky. “I told my players not to be afraid of strong competitors but we knew that the Hungarian team is a very strong team. We have to try to change something.”

Hungary had a good start and Vilmos Gallo the best possibility during a power play when at 4:32 he had several shots next to the crease but Eduard Zakharchenko blocked the attempts.

Ukraine wasn’t without chances either especially during its first power play. Nikita Butsenko had the biggest chance at 9:14 after a giveaway from Hungarian defenceman Bence Sziranyi but his shot hit the right goal post.

Later Hungary had again a great opportunity to open the scoring. Janos Hari passed to Janos Vas next to the crease but he didn’t manage to beat Zakharchenko, neither did linemate Gallo with another great opportunity from just in front of the net.

At 13:38 the puck went in on the other side to the joy of the local crowd at the Palace of Sports. With his bodycheck at the boards Dmytro Chernyshenko separated Hungary’s Balint Magosi from the puck in the offensive zone making the way free for Sergi Kuzmik who tried it with a wraparound. His high shot, deflected by a Hungarian defenceman, went exactly over Miklos Rajna’s shoulder for the 1-0 lead.

The Hungarians didn’t waste much time for a reaction. After 57 seconds the game was on par again. Csanad Erdely’s deflected shot from the left bounced back from the boards to Istvan Bartalis on the left side. He didn’t stand perfectly in front of the net and thus tried to score with his stick between his leg. This beauty of a goal sent the game into the first intermission tied at one.

Hungary also didn’t waist too much time going into the second period. Janos Vas gave Hungary the lead after just 20 seconds scoring on a rebound after a Bence Sziranyi shot.

The Hungarians tried to extend the lead in the middle frame but when Ukraine had a power play midway through the period the host nation tied the game up. Nikita Butsenko scored with a shot that went past Rajna’s glove. And with just over a minute left in the second period he even made it 3-2 when he and Vitali Lyalka battled their way towards the net and Butsenko scored to give Ukraine the lead again.

“The first game is always a difficult game to win and it was pretty obvious in the beginning. The team looked nervous and we made puck-possession mistakes. When we scored the 2-1 goal we unfortunately took three offensive-zone penalties in a row and allowed them to tie it up but the team showed character,” Hungary head coach Rich Chernomaz said.

Hungary eventually managed its comeback attempt thanks to two goals within a span of over two minutes midway the third period. At 10:41 Andrew Sarauer was fed in free position on the left side with a horizontal pass by Kevin Wehrs and scored via Zakharchenko’s pads. And at 12:53 Keegan Dansereau gave Hungary the lead. Zakharchenko had blocked two shots from Dansereau’s teammates but third time was a charm for Hungary.

“It was a tough game from the start. We came out a little bit shaky but in the end we were right there. They had some lucky bounces, they scored on our mistakes but we corrected those and became stronger and scored in good timing. Our group did a great job, we stayed positive at the bench even when it was 3-2 for them,” Vas said.

This time Hungary managed to defend the lead and a penalty against Dmytro Nimenko in the last minute didn’t help the host team either. Janos Hari made it 5-3 with a shot into the empty net with seven seconds to go.