website statistics

Alpine Skiing FIS World Championships 2017

hckošice

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• Replies 660
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FIS ALPINE SKIING

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

v2H+QX54IegN0OnrB8mrR+Prge6PtUDXQ90faoHu

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Women's Alpine Combined
Final Results

SUI.gif HOLDENER Wendy
1:58.88
1:17.84+41.04

SUI.gif GISIN Michelle
1:58.93
1:17.47+41.46

AUT.gif KIRCHGASSER Michaela
1:59.26
1:18.23+41.03

Swiss shine in St. Moritz alpine combined

Z

It was back to medal action at the 2017 Alpine World Ski Championships in St. Moritz (SUI) when the ladies’ were on stage for today’s alpine combined. The Swiss ladies’ team continued to shine as Wendy Holdener and Michelle Gisin took home the gold and silver medals. Austria’s Michaela Kirchgasser earned the bronze medal.

It was the third medal for the Swiss women in just the first two events of these World Championships. For both Holdener and Gisin, it was their first career World Championship medals. Kirchgasser now has one silver and two bronze World Championship medals in her collection.

"It's a dream," said Holdener. "I didn't think my slalom run would be enough to hold on for the gold when I came down. But after Michelle skied down, I knew I had a medal and then I watched as the last few had to start. It's still unbelievable for me."

Holdener was centimeters away from missing out on gold, as her teammate Gisin looked to be on pace to take over the lead, but Gisin came across the line a mere 0.05 seconds behind. Both athletes huddled in the leader box through the final few racers and celebrated as the first-run leaders straddled gates, leaving the top positions to the Swiss.

Sofia Goggia (ITA) led after the downhill portion, which was lowered to the super-G start due to forecasted fog, with Ilka Stuhec (SLO) sitting in second place. But both missed gates early in their slalom runs, paving the way for the double Swiss success. Holdener sat in seventh place, nearly a second off the fastest downhill run, while Gisin finished the downhill in fourth place 0.57 behind.

But both the Swiss had amazing slalom runs, with Holdener having the second-fastest slalom run, trailing only Kirchgasser who had the fastest slalom run, ultimately propelling her to the bronze medal. The Swiss were close to the podium sweep as Denise Feierabend finished in fourth place at 0.83 seconds behind.

Despite the huge medal success, the Swiss suffered a major blow today when Lara Gut was injured during warm-up between the two runs. Gut, who already earned a bronze medal in the super-G here in St. Moritz, was flown to Chur for further evaluation, but initial reports suggest an injury to the left knee.

An action-packed weekend awaits St. Moritz with the men’s downhill tomorrow and the ladies’ downhill on Sunday. The weather is expected to cooperate and gradually improve throughout the weekend and next week as the World Championship continues.

Full Results Here

Wendy Holdener

Alpine Combined 2017 World Champion

Race Replay

1st Run

2nd Run

Look who got his best ever FIS points this week :TLS :cheer:

afea359273.png

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, dareza said:

this actually was national championship of TLS :d I saw this on facebook group about skiing on Balkan.  :d 

Yes I saw on FIS where there was a :TLS flag :d 

25c3a74507.png

Meanwhile Pakistani girls are skiing in Japan but scoring like 500+ points :p 

7 minutes ago, dcro said:

Pitty that FIS points for the races in Pakistan are (still) not published. I wonder how many thousand FIS points the Afghani girl got for finishing 3 minutes behind Pakistanis. :evil:

75ab1ba13e2f4f54b24430a51974ad5e.png

I wonder who'd win, Hassani or the Palestine girl :d