website statistics

Judo 2021 Discussion Thread

phelps

• 2 months later...

This is a great heroic story.

An Iranian judoka who refused to return to Iran after reportedly being ordered to throw a match to avoid facing off with an Israeli is competing in Israel.

Saeid Mollaei has said he fears for his life if he goes back home following the episode in the 2019 Judo World Championships in Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56099440

6 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

This is a great heroic story.

An Iranian judoka who refused to return to Iran after reportedly being ordered to throw a match to avoid facing off with an Israeli is competing in Israel.

Saeid Mollaei has said he fears for his life if he goes back home following the episode in the 2019 Judo World Championships in Japan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-56099440

this is a well known (and old) sad and controversial story (not to say directly a farce)...

we've discussed about that quite a lot at the time of the last world champs and of the following months (when all the script happened)...

• 2 weeks later...

according to Iran Judo Federation lawyer, CAS lifted IJF's ban on Iran JF.

that was very surprising for me, this case was like a thief who did lots of robberies (and didn't get caught) but got arrested for a crime he didn't commit (framed by a conman) but still evidences from the previous crimes were there.

it seems even CAS judges didn't believe the Mongolian hero/bastard lies. only stupid people would believe him but then as I said previous evidences were too much to ignore.

I prefer to wait for the official confirmation, but even if this is true we won't see Iranians in international judo competitions, because the problem is still there (and is not going to be solved anytime soon, specially considering the current tension) and I'm sure IJF will be looking really hard for another story. but at least they can participate in the Asian events without being worried about the draw.

well Judo is a lost cause for me but at least this will be a great news for something like 60,000 people in Iranian judo community. I know most of them wanted to switch to another sport (mostly Kurash), but right now they have a reason to continue training, 2022 Asian Games is around the corner.

@MHSN CAS ruled that the Iranian Judo Federation couldn’t be banned indefinitely, but could have their ban/sanctions reassessed by the IJF according to the proper rules. 

Here’s a better explanation/story:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@MHSN CAS ruled that the Iranian Judo Federation couldn’t be banned indefinitely, but could have their ban/sanctions reassessed by the IJF according to the proper rules.

yes I read CAS statement, I could never trust this lawyer guy for another case in another sport. he somehow didn't tell the entire truth once again. still any kind of suspension is better than the indefinite one. (which will kill the sport completely) I mean from the Iranian athletes point of view.

it seems IJF was too much excited after making that Hollywood story to impose a ban which doesn't even exist in their rules.

and btw this Pavitt guy once again has some mistakes in his article. but that's pretty normal for ITG. I will be surprised if I see an article without a mistake from them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/03/2021 at 09:59, MHSN said:

yes I read CAS statement, I could never trust this lawyer guy for another case in another sport. he somehow didn't tell the entire truth once again. still any kind of suspension is better than the indefinite one. (which will kill the sport completely) I mean from the Iranian athletes point of view.

it seems IJF was too much excited after making that Hollywood story to impose a ban which doesn't even exist in their rules.

and btw this Pavitt guy once again has some mistakes in his article. but that's pretty normal for ITG. I will be surprised if I see an article without a mistake from them.

A more in-depth article about the CAS ruling: https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105576/cas-panel-iran-judo-federation-case

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

yes I'm well aware of the situation, that was in our local media. but I'm not just interested anymore. this is funny how he managed to "sell" his normal defeats to them as intentional. all those matches are still available on the net, he only lost twice intentionally (UAE and France), the rest are normal defeats but the article mentions something like 10000 defeats.

also another poor written article from ITG with so many wrong facts. but doesn't really matter.

I said it before. if that was up to me, I would dissolve the Judo federation and ban the sport in the country. problem solved. everybody happy. Vizer can get his "peace" prize from whatever organization he is supposed to get. and the lying Mongolian hero can go to hell. he is the only reason I follow the sport anymore, just to watch him lose! which he does a lot recently and hopefully he continues doing that.

• 3 weeks later...

The Asian Judo Championship starts tomorrow in Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

the brackets are not published yet but I have some parts of them, the Iranian kid at 81kg has to beat Jordan first to meet the the top seed, the Mongolian hero, the greatest human on the planet earth Saeid Mollaei in the 2nd round !

that will be "interesting", but unfortunately this bout won't be even competitive, walk in park for the Mongolian hero. this will be the first competition for the Iranian team after something like 2 years. and since almost the whole "old team" left the sport (except just 1) , they had to build a new team with youngsters. they didn't even know they will be allowed to participate here until couple weeks ago, I'm not even sure if he can beat Jordan to even face the Mongolian hero.