website statistics

Wrestling Qualification for Summer Olympic Games 2016

MantaRaymarc

1 minute ago, DaniSRB said:

does this tournament miss some good wrestlers in gr?

I'm sure there are, but for some of them their country just decided to send someone else , like Islamov, Etlinger, Chunayev (they sent Aliyev but he could not make weight), Gadabadze and I'm sure there are more.

Just now, MHSN said:

I'm sure there are, but for some of them their country just decided to send someone else , like Islamov, Etlinger, Chunayev (they sent Aliyev but he could not make weight), Gadabadze and I'm sure there are more.

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

Sourian completely dominated Angelov for 4 minutes and half and then he ran out of gas and became harmless ! :( the fact he had to wrestle tough Amoyan before this while Angelov had a bye didn't help at all. Angelov apparently only worked on his stamina ! Korean guy and Tasmuradov threw him easily ! who could predict we qualify 11 out of 12 weights and the only one remaining is our probably best hope for gold in Rio ?! :wall:

I still think he can win the gold in Rio if he qualifies but that's a big big if now. I think sending him to another tournament is useless, he is broken now, Saman Abdevali is injured (or was injured at least) without him we don't have any other reliable wrestler to count on him for this quota ! likes of Mardani or Beheshti can't qualify the weight for Iran. only Sourian himself (not this exhausted broken Sourian) and Saman Abdevali can do it

Good that Amir Ghasemi saved the day, he was the 3rd choice behind Bashir and Mehdizadeh ! I wonder if they send him to Rio or he hast wrestle Bashir ?!

Do you know how will the Iranians choose their men's Greco-Roman 130 kg wrestler?

3 hours ago, MantaRaymarc said:

Do you know how will the Iranians choose their men's Greco-Roman 130 kg wrestler?

Too early to say, but since Ghasemi wasn't the first choice , they will probably give Babajanzadeh and maybe Mehdizadeh another chance, maybe sending all of them to an international tournament , they will announce it soon.

2 minutes ago, Bearas said:

Finally something for :LTU I was convinced that we won't qualify anybody, which would be sad considering Olympic medals in wresting in 2008 and 2012.

Nevertheless, Lithuania has finally selected Venckaitis to compete for Rio 2016. Hopefully, Kazakevič or a female would join him in the roster, but the competition seemed too tough for them, as the remaining Olympic slots are running out towards the second meet of the WOQT. Congrats to Venckaitis!

Btw, I thought Mindaugas Mizgaitis had competed in the 130 kg category. How come they chose Mantas Knystautas over him at the WOQT?