website statistics

Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Sports Programme

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

Their original announcement last year only mentions women’s doubles: https://www.fil-luge.org/en/news/fil-executive-board-applies-with-women-s-doubles-as-new-olympic-event-for-the-olympic-winter-games-milano-cortina-2026

I never heard anything about the spirit events, but they could have pushed for them I suppose :dunno:

We are short of events proposed lol, how will we get to 23 lol. I wonder if ISU proposed something weird in speed skating.

47 minutes ago, intoronto said:

We are short of events proposed lol, how will we get to 23 lol. I wonder if ISU proposed something weird in speed skating.

Where did you get 23? I haven’t heard anything about that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

Where did you get 23? I haven’t heard anything about that.

"Some 23 new events were proposed and an additional athlete quota of 359 (113 male/246 female) was requested. ""

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/milano-cortina-2026-set-to-become-the-most-gender-balanced-olympic-winter-games-in-history

2 minutes ago, intoronto said:

"Some 23 new events were proposed and an additional athlete quota of 359 (113 male/246 female) was requested. ""

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/milano-cortina-2026-set-to-become-the-most-gender-balanced-olympic-winter-games-in-history

Oh, I missed that earlier :yikes:

I have no clue what else was requested. I know the ISU put forth synchronized skating in the past. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 hours ago, intoronto said:

The IOC: "Five out of the seven Olympic Winter IFs had put forward a request for changes from the programme at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022. "

We know 5 of the 23 was accepted. I am pretty sure curling did not ask for anything new, and hockey is unlikely as well. This means the other 5 IFs asked for events:

Skiing:

The three successful events + mixed team ski cross 

Biathlon:

Single mixed relay

Luge:
Women's doubles

Presumed: Sprint/natural track luge events (6 in total)

Bobsleigh/Skeleton:

Mixed team

Skating:

Team sprint in speed skating (2)

Still missing a few. Any ideas what other events were proposed?

Ski mountaineering should also have included the individual competition, which is the flagship event of Italy. It was almost certain in the past few months

6 hours ago, intoronto said:

WOmen's luge has 47 quotas, 35 individual + 6 pairs!? for an Olympic event. What a joke.

I'm pretty sure that early in the history of the event there will be a lot of double starters in the women's doubles...

10 hours ago, intoronto said:

I guess ISU tried once again to put forward the synchronized skating (groups)...

it's at least 20 years that they're pushing for that sh*t...

Speed Skating...Team Sprint is the only missing event they could have tried to sneak in into the Olympic program...

I wouldn't be surprised if they also asked for the individual 3000m in Short Track Speedskating...

then we can add to the list the Biathlon's Single Mixed Relay and a few weird mixed events in Cross-Country Skiing, the Individual events in Ski Moutaineering and then, who knows? :mumble:

4 hours ago, phelps said:

I'm pretty sure that early in the history of the event there will be a lot of double starters in the women's doubles...

I guess ISU tried once again to put forward the synchronized skating (groups)...

it's at least 20 years that they're pushing for that sh*t...

Speed Skating...Team Sprint is the only missing event they could have tried to sneak in into the Olympic program...

I wouldn't be surprised if they also asked for the individual 3000m in Short Track Speedskating...

then we can add to the list the Biathlon's Single Mixed Relay and a few weird mixed events in Cross-Country Skiing, the Individual events in Ski Moutaineering and then, who knows? :mumble:

The missing events in ski mountaineering are not included in the 23. Also the ISU is phasing out the individual 3000m