website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 14 (August 9)

Still reeling about Mitton.  And it wasn't even a very good competition.  She must be crushed.   I can't bellieve Canada's men  4x100 team   Just amazing.  Question I know Kate Vincent has the C200 but that is with Sophie.  is there not an event where she cpaddles by herself???

29 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I can't believe Athens happened (it was my first Summer Games) and those were dark days

My first too. So 24 medals is great . And it’s nice waking up everyday and having multiple medal chances 

31 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada won 3 medals here in events the ROC won medals in 2020. 

Unlike with 1984, I don't think people will put an asterisk on our performance here, but yeah, I imagine a few of our bronze medals may have been 4ths had Russia/Belarus fully participated.

49 minutes ago, JoshMartini007 said:

Unlike with 1984, I don't think people will put an asterisk on our performance here, but yeah, I imagine a few of our bronze medals may have been 4ths had Russia/Belarus fully participated.

On the other hand, look how many of Canada's performances have been upgraded recently due to doping from other countries. Drouin just got his high jump silver from London the other day (granted in 2021). We walked away from London with one gold medal, but then got another one after Girard got upgraded. The men's relay in Tokyo went from bronze to silver. If WADA wasn't biased, Canada would already be up plenty of medals, and may well be in the future. 

There's no asterisks here. Unless you mean, "may be upgraded later". 

If we want to talk about a particular country getting in Canada's way of medals, let's talk China. This is not an angry rant, just stating facts. I lived in China for several years, loved it. Not shit talking the country, just pointing things out. 

-In swimming, without China, Canada would have gotten 3 more medals. Another one if counting Hong Kong, which China absolutely counts as part of their country. 

-Bronze upgraded to silver in canoe. 

-In diving, bronze upgraded to silver in diving. One 4th upgraded to silver, another to bronze.

-Silver to gold in weightlifting. 

Usually its USA and this time France in team sports that stand in our way. But China, man. Move bitch, get out the way! 

I forgot Canada has the former Olymmpic gold medallist in cycling competing tomorrow.  I haven't followed her but I wonder what her chances are.   I would love to see one more gold  come on Wizard or Kate or Arop (better all three).  But from what I read Arop has a lot of competitors.  Now when does Canada name the flagbearrer for the closing ceremonies.  It is probably too late for Summer McIntosh now?

42 minutes ago, orangeman said:

If we want to talk about a particular country getting in Canada's way of medals, let's talk China. This is not an angry rant, just stating facts. I lived in China for several years, loved it. Not shit talking the country, just pointing things out. 

-In swimming, without China, Canada would have gotten 3 more medals. Another one if counting Hong Kong, which China absolutely counts as part of their country. 

-Bronze upgraded to silver in canoe. 

-In diving, bronze upgraded to silver in diving. One 4th upgraded to silver, another to bronze.

-Silver to gold in weightlifting. 

Usually its USA and this time France in team sports that stand in our way. But China, man. Move bitch, get out the way! 

It's not that surprising, China does have the second most medals so by chance they would be likely to finish ahead of us. We'd have to do a more deeper look to see if it's actually significant.

27 minutes ago, Skater Boy said:

I forgot Canada has the former Olymmpic gold medallist in cycling competing tomorrow.  I haven't followed her but I wonder what her chances are.   I would love to see one more gold  come on Wizard or Kate or Arop (better all three).  But from what I read Arop has a lot of competitors.  Now when does Canada name the flagbearrer for the closing ceremonies.  It is probably too late for Summer McIntosh now?

Not good. The whole track cycling team has been out of shape due to illness.

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• But some of those things are necessary. Younger generations do need to be satisfied to some degree, people aren't going to find the same things interesting forever and that changes with generations. Boring as it unfortunately has become, I'm glad judo is in the Olympics, or BMX or table tennis or diving. Investors and sponsors are also simply necessary, so in that sense, semi-political decisions are indeed needed to keep the Olympics around in the first place.   I didn't necessarily 'like' breaking btw, I still find it hard to see it as a form of real competition, but it definitely entertained me more than quite a few other sports.
    • Adding a sport to satisfy one particular group (young generations, big investors, sponsors) is a political thing, or at least political stream of logic. IOC can easily check popularity of their decisions, but they opt not to do that. Most of their decisions, if not all, arent based on general public's opinion. So yes, very political. IMO. I dont know about exact statistical data but you seem to be among small percentage of fans who liked breaking. Vast majority of infos or comments outside TL were negative. Not only Raygun's show but overall appeal. IOC did know about that polls even before Paris. I dont mind having sports that i personally dont like as long as they are in minority. We cant be 100% satisfied.     
    • Bit of a shame. Like with a women's decathlon, I'd be sure some women have at least done some sort of a non-serious competition with men's weights, for shits and giggles, so to say..
    • Yes but my comment referred to individual sports like squash.
    • There is no quota space but if the OC proposes it, the IOC isn't going to say no imo
    • I feel like I'm going crazy when I read these stories. Isn't it obvious and common sense that the point of the winter games is for things on snow and ice, looking at what is already on the programme and has been throughout history? It might be done in winter similarly to how we sometimes here describe rugby as a 'winter sport' but that's a whole different meaning to the phrase winter sport than the one we use for the Winter Olympics. I don't even think it needs explaining it's that obvious.   It's all about a new part of the world to have a shot at something.
    • I don't see any records kept for that - technically the World's Best.  Here's a list of all the non-standard records.   List of world records in athletics - Wikipedia
    • What's the political benefit of adding breaking? Or surfing? Or skateboarding? Or triathlon at some point?   I very much doubt it's that unpopular, given the quite large amount of positive reactions (not on a place like Totallympics, but that's far from an average when it comes to sports). Mostly I just heard and saw people saying something like "not sure it's a sport, but it was fun to watch".
    • I doubt it'll happen, simply because it might result in things like the heptathlon shot put....that's already not great to watch, but if the women suddenly have to throw an almost twice as heavy ball of metal I wonder if, say, 15 meters are even realistic...   The only thing I'd think about changing is the 400m hurdle height, they are just so low. It's no wonder the best female 400m hurdlers are relatively way better 400m runners than the best male 400m hurdlers. Making the weights in throwing events way heavier is just going to make for amateurish looking competition though.
    • I had never heard of HC Utah (and I am at least familiar with NHL names), but now I see those were the Arizona Coyotes     Kind of, you know, those US sports and their absolute cans of worms when it comes to teams changing cities and names but kind of remaining the same franchise or not or whatever