website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 9 (August 4)

1 minute ago, Topicmaster1010 said:

Relay Lineups:

Men: Tierney -> Knox -> Kharun -> Liendo

Women: Masse -> Angus -> Mac Neil -> McIntosh

Would’ve gone with Acevedo over Tierney, given his clutchness on relays. 

8 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Masse needs a low 58, Angus a relay PB, MacNeil needs to be around 56 or below and Mcintosh has to be below 53 for any chance of am edal.

I mean she went 53.2 after the 400m freestyle. I feel like it makes sense too given she’s the Canadian star of the meet. 

Edited by james89

Great analysis but it makes me a bit of a cynic. It's a long shot for Canada to medal to expect all 4 athletes would get their best on the same day at the same time but fingers crossed for swimming.  If Canada is going to match or beat last olympics a trend many of us like and hope they will need to start picking up some of the "close" medals.  I think they would need to medal in swimming one more time, earn medals in breaking and one of the canoe/boat events left, one medal at least between the teams - basketball or volleyball, 5 medals from athletics which is hard now with Andre not looking good and no medals in the decathlon.   But maybe I am missing some other strong events hopefully.  Boxing?  So I guess it is possible Canada could match or beat last olympics.  Go Canada!

• Latest Posts around Totallympics

• But some of those things are necessary. Younger generations do need to be satisfied to some degree, people aren't going to find the same things interesting forever and that changes with generations. Boring as it unfortunately has become, I'm glad judo is in the Olympics, or BMX or table tennis or diving. Investors and sponsors are also simply necessary, so in that sense, semi-political decisions are indeed needed to keep the Olympics around in the first place.   I didn't necessarily 'like' breaking btw, I still find it hard to see it as a form of real competition, but it definitely entertained me more than quite a few other sports.
    • Adding a sport to satisfy one particular group (young generations, big investors, sponsors) is a political thing, or at least political stream of logic. IOC can easily check popularity of their decisions, but they opt not to do that. Most of their decisions, if not all, arent based on general public's opinion. So yes, very political. IMO. I dont know about exact statistical data but you seem to be among small percentage of fans who liked breaking. Vast majority of infos or comments outside TL were negative. Not only Raygun's show but overall appeal. IOC did know about that polls even before Paris. I dont mind having sports that i personally dont like as long as they are in minority. We cant be 100% satisfied.     
    • Bit of a shame. Like with a women's decathlon, I'd be sure some women have at least done some sort of a non-serious competition with men's weights, for shits and giggles, so to say..
    • Yes but my comment referred to individual sports like squash.
    • There is no quota space but if the OC proposes it, the IOC isn't going to say no imo
    • I feel like I'm going crazy when I read these stories. Isn't it obvious and common sense that the point of the winter games is for things on snow and ice, looking at what is already on the programme and has been throughout history? It might be done in winter similarly to how we sometimes here describe rugby as a 'winter sport' but that's a whole different meaning to the phrase winter sport than the one we use for the Winter Olympics. I don't even think it needs explaining it's that obvious.   It's all about a new part of the world to have a shot at something.
    • I don't see any records kept for that - technically the World's Best.  Here's a list of all the non-standard records.   List of world records in athletics - Wikipedia
    • What's the political benefit of adding breaking? Or surfing? Or skateboarding? Or triathlon at some point?   I very much doubt it's that unpopular, given the quite large amount of positive reactions (not on a place like Totallympics, but that's far from an average when it comes to sports). Mostly I just heard and saw people saying something like "not sure it's a sport, but it was fun to watch".
    • I doubt it'll happen, simply because it might result in things like the heptathlon shot put....that's already not great to watch, but if the women suddenly have to throw an almost twice as heavy ball of metal I wonder if, say, 15 meters are even realistic...   The only thing I'd think about changing is the 400m hurdle height, they are just so low. It's no wonder the best female 400m hurdlers are relatively way better 400m runners than the best male 400m hurdlers. Making the weights in throwing events way heavier is just going to make for amateurish looking competition though.
    • I had never heard of HC Utah (and I am at least familiar with NHL names), but now I see those were the Arizona Coyotes     Kind of, you know, those US sports and their absolute cans of worms when it comes to teams changing cities and names but kind of remaining the same franchise or not or whatever