website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 4 (July 30)

Quite a good day overall I would say.

Dissapointing day in judo and in volleyball (though, tbh, our men's volleyball is sort of a hot mess and probably lucky just to qualify xD ), otherwise I think everything was at or above expectations.

3 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Dissapointing day in judo and in volleyball (though, tbh, our men's volleyball is sort of a hot mess and probably lucky just to qualify xD ), otherwise I think everything was at or above expectations.

It just feels like a let down compared to yesterday - super happy about the Rugby silver, Eric Peters and making it further in tennis and of course Kharun. Disappointed that Kylie only managed a bronze. 

While I'm super happy that the gymnasts did well enough to be proud of I was really hoping Ellie Black would pick up a medal this Olympics. 

10 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Yeah, rugby by far went above and beyond expectations and was super exciting to watch. Judo was a disappointment though. 2nd and 5th ranks walk away with nothing. Not even fighting for bronze. 

I'm just a bit concerned about the swim team though. I guess they're basically where we could have guessed, but no one is really stepping up (besides Summer, obviously). MSH's 4th was good, but other results have been lukewarm. Masse and MacNeil were 50/50 for the podium, and both missed. Liendo's freestyle was yikes. Relays were meh. Kharun is also a bright spot so far, but we'll see what happens tomorrow. If Summer is the only one to get medals here, a complete evaluation of the team will be needed. 

Edited by orangeman

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada has 6 medals so far (we had 8 after day 4 I'm Tokyo)

One of those was softball and the other was weightlifting (which is later in the program this year). If you take those two out, it's the same.

11 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Canada has 6 medals so far (we had 8 after day 4 I'm Tokyo)

Yeah, but softball isn't in Paris and Charron hasn't competed yet. So those 2 are sort of "accounted for". 

Edit: What's sort of concerning is that 4 of those medalists from Tokyo were here in Paris but didn't repeat. Repeats are hard of course, but it does speak to the longevity of some of our "stars" and programs. 

Edited by orangeman

Since the program is different relative to 2020, I usually like to compare to which events have been completed in both editions.

Using the current completed events, Canada in 2020 would have had 1G-3S-3B. We are down one medal. Unsurprisingly, swimming is behind. So is judo, but they could go even once the program is completed.

3 hours ago, NearPup said:

The men looked really good in VNL... but a lot of teams were treating VNL like an Olympics pre-season, so, yeah, a bit misleading