website statistics

2024 Olympics - Day 3 (July 29)

Just now, intoronto said:

Does it matter? Its a forum... where the point is to post :d

Yep it does, cause it’s much harder to find results when there’s a full page of let’s say McIntosh winning gold in the 400IM. 

Well, very good day for :CAN, converted the three biggest medal chances, and won gold in the two events it was favoured to win gold in.

I think winning a medal of any kind tomorow would be a big success, rugby obviously being the best shot. I personally don't really see any swimming medal happening tomorow, but always the chance that there is a surprise.

1 minute ago, NearPup said:

Well, very good day for :CAN, converted the three biggest medal chances, and won gold in the two events it was favoured to win gold in.

I think winning a medal of any kind tomorow would be a big success, rugby obviously being the best shot. I personally don't really see any swimming medal happening tomorow, but always the chance that there is a surprise.

I have a gut feeling Paquet might surprise in the triathlon

Just now, intoronto said:

I have a gut feeling Paquet might surprise in the triathlon

Assuming they run the triathlon tomorow :P

But ya, the triathlon is a wildcard and we also have some half chances in judo. I do think any one of them converting would be a good overall result.

16 minutes ago, NearPup said:

Assuming they run the triathlon tomorow :P

But ya, the triathlon is a wildcard and we also have some half chances in judo. I do think any one of them converting would be a good overall result.

The judoka's tomorrow are seeded 2nd and 5th so I would say they are probably better than half chances. 

Another great day for :CAN :yes

We won an additional 3 medals, with 2 golds and 1 bronze, to bring our total to 2 golds, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. 

Summer McIntosh won gold in the 400m individual medley (as expected), Deguchi won gold in women’s 57kg judo as a somewhat marginal favourite while very clearly no where near her best, and Rylan Wiens/Nathan Zsombor-Murray converted on an outside chance in men’s 10m synchro diving (I wouldn’t call it a surprise, they won bronze at Worlds in 2023, and them, Australia, Ukraine and Mexico were the contenders for bronze coming in), women’s rugby team winning their quarterfinal match in a thriller by a score of 19-14 over France, Leylah Fernandez winning her match in women’s singles over Bucsa to become the first Canadian female to advance to the round of 16 in tennis, coming back a couple of hours later with Gaby Dabrowski to defeat Gracheva/Parry (also advancing to the round of 16), Humana-Parades/Wilkerson winning their first pool play match against Poletti/Valiente (although the scoreline doesn’t seem too convincing)

As for the disappointments, fencing in general because after winning both round of 64 bouts in men’s foil it all went downhill with four losses in a row, and all of them got handled pretty easily, but whatever because we’ve done so well in this sport at Paris that I couldn’t care less. Women’s basketball team got handled by France in group stage action by a score of 75-54, Heather Bansley/Sophie Bukovec losing in straight sets (not just about that, but how well they played) to Xue/Xia in the group stage (0-2, and now their chances of making it out are slim), Margelidon in men’s 73kg judo (somewhat), Milos Raonic/FAA losing in the men’s doubles round of 32 to Paul/Fritz, Michelle Li barely winning against Tham of Myanmar in women’s group stage action, and a closer loss (hoped for 2-3 goals, ended up being a 12-7 Hungary win) for our women’s waterpolo team. 

Edit: Oh and the Andresscu loss against Vekic. She’s not a clay courter, and the match was interrupted when she injured her finger which takes a bit of the sting away (of course I would’ve still wanted to see her win)

Edited by Josh