website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 2

32 minutes ago, JamDH said:

What's the status on the sailors going in? I'm not in the loop at all with the sport but had heard it might not be too fruitful this time unlike usual where we're usually good for 3 or so golds. The women's skiff already looks like it might be a write off.  I enjoy the sport during the games but its hard to even keep track with the essentially meaningless planned start times to the races.

Women’s Windsurfing - fair chance of a good performance, change in class from RS:X to IQFoil, but Wilson has adapted well and has won Bronze in 2023 and Silver in 2024 at the World Championships in the IQFoil class. 

Men’s Windsurfing - slim potential. Has been up and amongst it (5th at World Championships 2023) but not consistent. 

Women’s ILCA - highly unlikely.

Men’s ILCA - won silver at the World Championships 2023, good form this year.

Women’s 49erFX - some potential in their performances today, leading at times, but not much to show for it on paper (9th, 18th and 8th).

Men’s 49er - judging by their results today (18th, 11th and 13th) I’d gather unlikely.

Mixed 420 - scraped qualification last minute.  Silver at the World Championships this year, but then only 16th at the European Championship in May.

Nacra 17 - Gimson and Burnet back after winning Silver in Tokyo. The duo took Gold in the European Championships in 2023 and Silver at the Worlds of that year. Solid contenders. 

8 hours ago, Jon said:

Women’s Windsurfing - fair chance of a good performance, change in class from RS:X to IQFoil, but Wilson has adapted well and has won Bronze in 2023 and Silver in 2024 at the World Championships in the IQFoil class. 

Men’s Windsurfing - slim potential. Has been up and amongst it (5th at World Championships 2023) but not consistent. 

Women’s ILCA - highly unlikely.

Men’s ILCA - won silver at the World Championships 2023, good form this year.

Women’s 49erFX - some potential in their performances today, leading at times, but not much to show for it on paper (9th, 18th and 8th).

Men’s 49er - judging by their results today (18th, 11th and 13th) I’d gather unlikely.

Mixed 420 - scraped qualification last minute.  Silver at the World Championships this year, but then only 16th at the European Championship in May.

Nacra 17 - Gimson and Burnet back after winning Silver in Tokyo. The duo took Gold in the European Championships in 2023 and Silver at the Worlds of that year. Solid contenders. 

So a fair amount of decline on recent games. 

That doesn't look that great for the sailors. I had assumed that being so close to home they'd be set for a good time. To be honest, I had also come to the conclusion that funding gave us sufficient advantage that we'd always have a successful team.