website statistics

Team GB Daily: Day 2

Don't want to determine this games after 2 days but I get the feeling this gonna be one of dissapointment and near misses. Peaty was unlucky not to win tonight, but his gold medal tends to give the rest of the team a kick up the backside to go on and win golds. Now that he's not done it this time round I'm struggling to find the athlete that's gonna break the mold in short notice, hopefully it's Pidcock tomorrow because a near miss from him could start to bring the mood down in the camp. 

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Don't want to determine this games after 2 days but I get the feeling this gonna be one of dissapointment and near misses. Peaty was unlucky not to win tonight, but his gold medal tends to give the rest of the team a kick up the backside to go on and win golds. Now that he's not done it this time round I'm struggling to find the athlete that's gonna break the mold in short notice, hopefully it's Pidcock tomorrow because a near miss from him could start to bring the mood down in the camp. 

i'm not worried at all, this time tomorrow we'll be sat here with two shiny gold medals and all will be well, keep the faith! 

i have us with one medal more than expected, and one gold less than expected but that was tarling not peaty....and now i look back that was ambitious

15 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Peaty’s is the first medal not achieved by someone else making a notable mistake. Both bronzes were after dramatic big mistakes and Henderson’s silver would have been bronze but for a fall. 

The rowing looks good to beat Atlanta’s gold record on its own. 

Still I think we will be 5-8th on the medal table and around to 45-50 medals, 

I do get your point through - particularly if the press start turning on the team - remmeber 2012 where a lot of negativity came before Glover and Stanning won gold because big names like Adlington and Daley underperformed. 

Edited by Orangehair43

2 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

i'm not worried at all, this time tomorrow we'll be sat here with two shiny gold medals and all will be well, keep the faith! 

i have us with one medal more than expected, and one gold less than expected but that was tarling not peaty....and now i look back that was ambitious

I hope you're right, but even if you're not it'll give us the reset we need to put in a major performance in LA after what has been a poor cycle compared to the last 3. Who's the other gold tomorrow, Burgess or the Eventing? 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

I hope you're right, but even if you're not it'll give us the reset we need to put in a major performance in LA after what has been a poor cycle compared to the last 3. Who's the other gold tomorrow, Burgess or the Eventing? 

i dont want to jinx it haha

Edited by Olympicsnell

3 minutes ago, Cinnamon Bun said:

Is there  the structure and the money for a big reset? Have our juniors in various sports been performing well? 

2 minutes ago, cjsavory said:

Ha, I'm willing to jinx it and say our THREE gold medals tomorrow will be Pidcock, Team Eventing and Collett! 

Finally some optimism, was worried the funding might get cut for that too…! 

3 good chances tomorrow for sure.

Eventing team has to be a very good chance, as Tom is (a little doubt over his Covid bout recently) but otherwise will be very hard to beat without a mechanical / puncture.

I would have been bullish about Laura’s chances if she had maintained her narrow lead but it’s close so she is right there.

Daley to win gold in the synchro again? ;) should be a silver there I think. Burgess also looks good for perhaps sneaking a medal.

Hope sailing brings about better results tomorrow

What's the status on the sailors going in? I'm not in the loop at all with the sport but had heard it might not be too fruitful this time unlike usual where we're usually good for 3 or so golds. The women's skiff already looks like it might be a write off.  I enjoy the sport during the games but its hard to even keep track with the essentially meaningless planned start times to the races.

Edited by JamDH