website statistics

Team Ireland Daily Diary at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games

Team Ireland is ready to kick-off action at the Paris 2024 Olympic Games and we would like to welcome all members of the Team Ireland Club to gather here to discuss, react and hopefully celebrate together as all the live action unfolds.

This thread will serve as the main thread for the Team Ireland Club throughout the Paris 2024 Olympics.

Let the Games begin.... come on Ireland!! :IRL  :cheer:

Edited by OlympicIRL

So just to remind us all, Ireland's men's rugby sevens team gets action underway for Team Ireland tomorrow afternoon in the group phase with matches against South Africa and Japan:

Day -2

Wednesday 24th July

TIME

IrishSummer Time (GMT +1)

SPORT EVENT DETAILS NOTES ATHLETE

16:30

073948dqvq6mvi33268zul.png

Men's Rugby Sevens Tournament

Preliminary Round, Group A :IRL vs :RSA Ireland Men

20:00

073948dqvq6mvi33268zul.png

Men's Rugby Sevens Tournament

Preliminary Round, Group A :IRL vs :JPN Ireland Men

As I'm traveling to the Olympic Games tomorrow morning, I won't be able to update daily with the schedule. If anyone would like to post the Team Ireland schedule here on this thread with an updated schedule for that day I would appreciate that. It can be found in the link below. If not then it's also no worries :) 

Vital win for the sevens team against South Africa even if they made hard work of it in the end after controlling possession. Hopefully they get the job done against Japan this evening and then can have a right cut at New Zealand tomorrow for a chance to top the pool.

Big win over Japan, first Top 8 finish of the games in the bag already.

I know the reasons why it's happened this time, but having two of the three men's sevens days taking place before the opening ceremony feels a bit harsh on the players, with 8 of the 12 sides going to be out of medal contention by tomorrow night.

Hopefully in future there is no more than one day of sevens before the official start of the games. I don't mind having early rounds of events taking place at this stage, but effectively knocking out almost 100 of the games competitors before the games themselves officially start doesn't sit right with me.

3 hours ago, duineeile said:

Vital win for the sevens team against South Africa even if they made hard work of it in the end after controlling possession. Hopefully they get the job done against Japan this evening and then can have a right cut at New Zealand tomorrow for a chance to top the pool.

And once again the vaguaries of a rugby draw has put Ireland to the wheel. The three best teams here seem to be, on this evidence, Fiji, NZL, Ireland...yet the loser of NZL-Irl tomorrow is going to be stuck with a QF against Fiji. Meanwhile, South Africa, beaten by both, could yet sneak out a quarter against a relatively nervous looking Argentina...

That said, if we somehow beat the Blacks, we could be staring into a USA, Samoa path to the final....

It's looking more likely to be South Africa again if we beat NZ. Obviously a better outcome than Fiji, but not much of a reward for topping a difficult group. Definitely looks like Group B got the much easier path, it's the easiest group of the three to begin with and then the winner will probably get a quarter final against USA, while the second placed team gets to play another group runner up, whereas the second placed team in our group has to play a group winner.

We haven't had much luck with rugby draws in general in recent years and it's the case yet again here.