website statistics

Triathlon at the Summer Olympic Games Paris 2024

Totallympics

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

More about the water quality issue.  You've probably seen elsewhere that swim training has had to be cancelled.  However, according to this BBC story, the horrible, terrible, awful idea of going to a duathlon has been dropped.  Options now are to either postpone one or more races, or to transfer the whole show to some pretty, impressionist painting-type village well upstream from major population centres, industrial chemical factories or slaughterhouses.  

Should the water quality not reach the required standard, the triathlon events could be postponed for a few days or moved to Vaires-sur-Marne, on the Marne river east of Paris.

Olympic triathlon: River Seine pollution forces familiarisation to be scrapped - BBC Sport

Apologies: was relying on the BBC to report a story about a non-football sport accurately which was a foolish mistake on my part.  :spank:

So according to today’s story, which might not be accurate:

1. No training today due to Parisian stinkiness.

2. First option is to postpone the solo triathlon races to Thursday 1 August & Friday 2 August in hope of biblical miracle.

3. Absent divine intervention, triathlon becomes duathlon & the French are left looking like a gang of idiots

4. Open-water swimming, not triathlon, moves to Vaires-sur-Marne ie clean & sparkly the rowing lake

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/cn05nxv2z9po

Edited by Grassmarket

Posted (edited)

Latest I’ve heard is that there will be a water quality test at 03:30 tomorrow & then a decision will made to either run tomorrow or postpone until 2 August.  

Utterly hopeless & insulting to the athletes.

Edited by Grassmarket

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Latest I’ve heard is that there will be a water quality test at 03:30 tomorrow & then a decision will made to either run tomorrow or postpone.  Utterly hopeless & insulting to the athletes.

Is it early enough to start telling India doing the triathlon and open water swimming in the Gangnes - or within 500km from that filth - in the 2036 Olympics is a bad idea? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

If it's not good tomorrow, they can just postpone it for a couple more days. Don't know what the big fuss is about. 

Is the chance that big that it'll be good in a couple of days?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Is the chance that big that it'll be good in a couple of days?

As far as i'm aware, it gets dirtier, when it rains. But the next week the forecast is for sunny days, so they have time to "clean it up". The next rain should be on Wednesday the 7th, so plenty of time to get the triathlons done.

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

As far as i'm aware, it gets dirtier, when it rains. But the next week the forecast is for sunny days, so they have time to "clean it up". The next rain should be on Wednesday the 7th, so plenty of time to get the triathlons done.

I definitely hope you're right, don't want to see a duathlon (I do, but not as replacement for the triathlon) :p 

49 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I definitely hope you're right, don't want to see a duathlon (I do, but not as replacement for the triathlon) :p 

Alex yee wants that duathlon and so does my heart instead of having to watch him swim 

2 hours ago, Olympicsnell said:

Alex yee wants that duathlon and so does my heart instead of having to watch him swim 

Will be ironic & deserved if :FRA end up losing Golds because of the elimination of swimming legs.

Posted (edited)

Men’s event postponed until 10.45am on Wednesday 31 July. Women’s still due to take place at 8.00am on that day also. Contingencies remain in place for dates in August.

Edited by Jon