website statistics

Team GB at the World Athletics Relays Road to Paris 2024

Think we've got pretty much the top options there for the 4x400s with the exception on Anning who probably wouldn't be available due to college commitments. 

The women's 4x100 is pretty solid - can easily see 4 of them being on the start list of the heats when it comes to Paris but the men's selections are........interesting :d 

Have to say I wasn't expecting to see Kilty in the squad and figured that the squad had moved on from his era. His selection is even more surprising given the inclusion of Ujah in the squad as Kilty blames Ujah for losing his Olympic medal and was on record saying he would never forgive Ujah for his reckless and sloppy behaviour. Add in Prescod who accused UKA of emotional blackmail in the run up to Budapest last year and the squad becomes a tinderbox just waiting for a spark to cause an explosion. 

5 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Most of the big names, I’n glad to see.  In non-Olympic years there’s much less enthusiasm.

The obvious absences are Dina and Darryl in the 100, and Anning in the 4, the latter is easy to explain, the former less so.

I have to admit to my concerns about Dina in particular, despite the excellent 4 x 200

4 hours ago, Rafa Maciel said:

Think we've got pretty much the top options there for the 4x400s with the exception on Anning who probably wouldn't be available due to college commitments. 

The women's 4x100 is pretty solid - can easily see 4 of them being on the start list of the heats when it comes to Paris but the men's selections are........interesting :d 

Have to say I wasn't expecting to see Kilty in the squad and figured that the squad had moved on from his era. His selection is even more surprising given the inclusion of Ujah in the squad as Kilty blames Ujah for losing his Olympic medal and was on record saying he would never forgive Ujah for his reckless and sloppy behaviour. Add in Prescod who accused UKA of emotional blackmail in the run up to Budapest last year and the squad becomes a tinderbox just waiting for a spark to cause an explosion. 

Kilty is surprising, but he's also unofficially a coach to the set up, and the best natural starter they have in the absence of Azu - an absence that may also explain a reluctant acceptance for a return from Ujah (I understand Ujah was actually, unusually, able to prove his story about a supplement by providing receipts and a sample - that may have paved a way back)

4 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

The obvious absences are Dina and Darryl in the 100, and Anning in the 4, the latter is easy to explain, the former less so.

I have to admit to my concerns about Dina in particular, despite the excellent 4 x 200

If you look at the press release of the team announcement, Darren Campbell specifically says that Dina and Daryll will 'join the team in the summer'. So, in theory, they are playing this as an agreed absence. We'll see later in the year if that is the case, I guess...

On the 4x4 women's side probably missing Jessie Knight from our strongest, as well as Yemi Mary John - although Yemi is in the same position as Amber with college commitments so you imagine that explains her absence as well.

5 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

If you look at the press release of the team announcement, Darren Campbell specifically says that Dina and Daryll will 'join the team in the summer'. So, in theory, they are playing this as an agreed absence. We'll see later in the year if that is the case, I guess...

On the 4x4 women's side probably missing Jessie Knight from our strongest, as well as Yemi Mary John - although Yemi is in the same position as Amber with college commitments so you imagine that explains her absence as well.

Think our strongest quartet come summer will be Nielson, Anning, Ohurougu, Pipi… at least on paper although it’s refreshing to see depth in the squad with Jessie, Yemi, Nicole Yeargin and Lina N

6 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

It will become clear if it’s not an agreed absence if they in Paris for individual events and don’t appear for the relay. 

12 hours ago, RussB said:

Think our strongest quartet come summer will be Nielson, Anning, Ohurougu, Pipi… at least on paper although it’s refreshing to see depth in the squad with Jessie, Yemi, Nicole Yeargin and Lina N

Oh, yeah, I was meaning strongest here in terms of the depth of the full squad, rather than the top 4.

I'm not convinced that Amber or Yemi will be as strong in the summer, given their college commitments. But we're in a strong place as a squad. There's the US ahead of us, and then the 2 superstars of the Dutch. But there's no reason we shouldn't be firmly in the medal mix come Paris.

10 hours ago, Epic Failure said:

Oh, yeah, I was meaning strongest here in terms of the depth of the full squad, rather than the top 4.

I'm not convinced that Amber or Yemi will be as strong in the summer, given their college commitments. But we're in a strong place as a squad. There's the US ahead of us, and then the 2 superstars of the Dutch. But there's no reason we shouldn't be firmly in the medal mix come Paris.

I’m hopeful this will be a break out year for Amber and she will be our number 1.

im not sure if DAS is considering adding the 400m relay to her schedule but it’s an intriguing prospect if she does.

US will be ahead of us but I’m not totally convinced we can’t beat the Dutch despite the amazingness of Bol

Edited by RussB

to add onto this Amber Anning has just done a new PB of 50.07 which puts her 7th on British all time list. Very promising start to her outdoor season and great news for the relay!