website statistics

British Swimming Championships 2024 Road to Paris 2024

I think Bird's disappointment can be put down to the fact that he's given the selectors an excuse to *not* pick him. Rather than guaranteeing himself a spot as he looked like he might, he's now entirely in the hands of the selectors. That's never a position you want to be in.

The unspoken part of everything, of course, is that Bird is, on entry time, the 11th fastest 200m free swimmer. If he can get himself up to, say, 6th or 7th in that race he could make an argument for himself as relay cover there.

I think there's still a lot that could change this week. Burras's form is somewhat unknown, for example. He could easily be left off the plane if he doesn't show well this week.

Personally I think that *if* they take Anderson they absolutely will be expecting her to pull heat/final relay swims. I'm not sure that the teams will be strong enough without her.

8 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I think Bird's disappointment can be put down to the fact that he's given the selectors an excuse to *not* pick him. Rather than guaranteeing himself a spot as he looked like he might, he's now entirely in the hands of the selectors. That's never a position you want to be in.

The unspoken part of everything, of course, is that Bird is, on entry time, the 11th fastest 200m free swimmer. If he can get himself up to, say, 6th or 7th in that race he could make an argument for himself as relay cover there.

I think there's still a lot that could change this week. Burras's form is somewhat unknown, for example. He could easily be left off the plane if he doesn't show well this week.

Personally I think that *if* they take Anderson they absolutely will be expecting her to pull heat/final relay swims. I'm not sure that the teams will be strong enough without her.

I think he seems to be fully aware the selectors are not really considering cases like him, 

9 hours ago, Orangehair43 said:

I think he seems to be fully aware the selectors are not really considering cases like him, 

I think that's overstating things. They'll absolutely consider his case - and Wilby's - if there are not 30 better options. He's just worried that there *will* be 30 better options.

He's predicting what might happen based on the likely results through the rest of the week. That's all. He's being supportive of his teammates in a weird way - he thinks that more of them will do a better job than he has done!

38 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

I think that's overstating things. They'll absolutely consider his case - and Wilby's - if there are not 30 better options. He's just worried that there *will* be 30 better options.

He's predicting what might happen based on the likely results through the rest of the week. That's all. He's being supportive of his teammates in a weird way - he thinks that more of them will do a better job than he has done!

Wilby has more to his case in terms of prior experience of making numerous major finals and being Peaty’a relay backup. If they don’t take him then Peaty will surely have to do the relay heats  That doesn’t fit a focus on relays as good medal opportunities. 

Edited by Orangehair43

4 minutes ago, Orangehair43 said:

Wilby has more to his case in terms of prior experience of making numerous major finals and being Peaty’a relay backup. If they don’t take him then Peaty will surely have to do the relay heats  That doesn’t fit a focus on relays as good medal opportunities. 

AP did both heat and final of the mixed in Tokyo. He only didn't do the men's medley heat. So it would hardly be a crazy increase in his workload to add one more race to his schedule, especially as there's no 50m event at the OGs.

I think they will want to take Wilby if they can. But my point was that what happens this week in other events will determine whether they can or not, just like with Bird. If Wilby doesn't get the 200m time and someone else does, that person will be going as APs backup. Likewise, if Bird is able to be 5th or 6th in the 200m free, he puts himself in a better place.

I just don't agree with the assertion that he knows he isn't in consideration. There's a lot of swimming to happen this week before we know the answer to that.

1 minute ago, Epic Failure said:

AP did both heat and final of the mixed in Tokyo. He only didn't do the men's medley heat. So it would hardly be a crazy increase in his workload to add one more race to his schedule, especially as there's no 50m event at the OGs.

I think they will want to take Wilby if they can. But my point was that what happens this week in other events will determine whether they can or not, just like with Bird. If Wilby doesn't get the 200m time and someone else does, that person will be going as APs backup. Likewise, if Bird is able to be 5th or 6th in the 200m free, he puts himself in a better place.

I just don't agree with the assertion that he knows he isn't in consideration. There's a lot of swimming to happen this week before we know the answer to that.

Plus a few months to the games. If one of the top 4x200m guys had to withdraw from Paris it’s likely they would try and keep the relay spot with the next in line. 

4 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

And that’s where the 30 limit goes into cost cutting territory rather than raising standards.

Edited by Orangehair43

Weird that the men's 100m back which has been a relative weak spot for GBR over the years is suddenly alive and kicking. Jonny Marshall's swim was strong but Oli Morgan just blew it out of the water.

It's huge for the relay implications as well.

4 minutes ago, Epic Failure said:

Weird that the men's 100m back which has been a relative weak spot for GBR over the years is suddenly alive and kicking. Jonny Marshall's swim was strong but Oli Morgan just blew it out of the water.

It's huge for the relay implications as well.

Maybe in 2028/2032 the 200 fly can be strong as well.