website statistics

GB Shooting

22 minutes ago, RussB said:

Correct. Olivia Green looks like she has fallen down the pecking order (behind French, Bryson and Varley, possibly Whitaker too)

Very, very hard not to take French who came straight back to form last week. I think Green's goose is cooked. The interesting choice is Bryson v Varley. Bryson had dome form, Varley had the class.

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Very, very hard not to take French who came straight back to form last week. I think Green's goose is cooked. The interesting choice is Bryson v Varley. Bryson had dome form, Varley had the class.

Yeah I honestly don’t know which way they go. They seem to each have a golden performance which can’t then be followed up in subsequent world cups.

Bryson to me will get the nod, her fence ( which is so vital in MP) looks far more reliable. Having said that Varley had a podium finish recently.

5 minutes ago, RussB said:

Yeah I honestly don’t know which way they go. They seem to each have a golden performance which can’t then be followed up in subsequent world cups.

Bryson to me will get the nod, her fence ( which is so vital in MP) looks far more reliable. Having said that Varley had a podium finish recently.

Can I just ask those more knowledgeable than me what is the status of Amber Rutter? Aware she had a baby in April but still intended to go to Paris in the skeet ?

1 hour ago, RussB said:

Can I just ask those more knowledgeable than me what is the status of Amber Rutter? Aware she had a baby in April but still intended to go to Paris in the skeet ?

As I understand it, yes.

4 hours ago, RussB said:

yes, bbc do an article on it every other week 

Just now, Olympicsnell said:

yes, bbc do an article on it every other week 

Sorry I’m not aware. My question was also indirectly asking if she can honestly be expected to have medal chances? Not aware of shooting whether a return to the top could be expected in such a short build to the games

3 minutes ago, RussB said:

Sorry I’m not aware. My question was also indirectly asking if she can honestly be expected to have medal chances? Not aware of shooting whether a return to the top could be expected in such a short build to the games

That i don't know, shooting is one of those sports that i only have a passing interest in so don't really know how dominant she has been in the sport, i just know she is pretty good....and a solid 10/10.

Paris 2024: GB's Amber Rutter chasing Olympic shooting gold three months after baby's due date - BBC Sport

9 hours ago, RussB said:

If Varley had pulled up trees at the World Championships last week, it might be a conversation. As it is, I can't see a world where they don't go with Bryson. 

Tbh, I sort of assumed that if Bryson's place had been in any doubt at all, she would've gone to the World Champs. Maybe there's another reason she wasn't selected, but I figured it was so the others could have a straight fight for the second place. 

5 minutes ago, cjsavory said:

If Varley had pulled up trees at the World Championships last week, it might be a conversation. As it is, I can't see a world where they don't go with Bryson. 

Tbh, I sort of assumed that if Bryson's place had been in any doubt at all, she would've gone to the World Champs. Maybe there's another reason she wasn't selected, but I figured it was so the others could have a straight fight for the second place. 

We share the same opinion on Bryson not being at world finals. I also think you have to take Kate French.

13 hours ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Diving did. Ross Haslam, Daniel Goodfellow and Eden Cheng all won quotas they didn't get. In modern Pentathlon it looks increasingly likely Olivia Green will no ge the quota she won.

The difference is that the divers at least had a straight fight to decide who got spots AND some of that was decided after multiple competitions where we won spots ie had Cheng not got the 10m spot at the Euro Games, Spendolini-Sirieix would have got a quota at the worlds this year with her performance. The men's 3m is slightly harsher, I'll grant. There's also the complicating factor that only 2 divers could compete at a WC, so there wasn't equal chance for the divers to earn the quotas.

But Bale has had his own chances for to get a quota and hasn't got them. Feels really harsh to ditch Bargeron.