website statistics

Wrestling UWW American Olympic Qualifier 2024 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

7 minutes ago, Josh said:

Those are by far the two weakest US men’s freestyle weight classes, with this their best (and probably only) chance at securing a quota. I can’t see any US athlete placing among the top three at the World Qualifier. 

If they send the same guys, yes I agree 

but they have some better wrestlers. I don't know how these guys managed to win their trials last year. 

they will have their Olympic trials in April and whoever wins the trials in these 2 weights has to win the quota himself in May. for example guys like Diakomihalis or Arujau are well capable of winning the quota. 

1 minute ago, MHSN said:

If they send the same guys, yes I agree 

but they have some better wrestlers. I don't know how these guys managed to win their trials last year. 

they will have their Olympic trials in April and whoever wins the trials in these 2 weights has to win the quota himself in May. for example guys like Diakomihalis or Arujau are well capable of winning the quota. 

Thank you, I thought US would’ve gone with the same athletes. Thomas Gilman is another name that could be challenging for a quota. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Josh said:

Thank you, I thought US would’ve gone with the same athletes. Thomas Gilman is another name that could be challenging for a quota. 

I can also name Suriano, Spencer Lee, Daton Fix etc. USA has 4 or 5 wrestlers better than this guy at 57kg. but he won the trials last year and per their rules he had the right to wrestle here, the other could challenge him but didn't want to, they probably thought that's useless to tire themselves, let him winning the quota. we will beat him at the trials.

US usually underestimates the Pan-Am qualifiers. I mean they should had their trials before this event but they want their trials to be something special, calling it "Final X" in all 6 Olympic weights. it will be hard for anybody who wins the trials to cut weight again in 3 weeks and go to the last chance qualifier in Turkey.

btw most of wrestling nations won't send the same guy twice. I mean if any of our guys fail to qualify in Asia, his chance is gone and the next guy in line will take his place. 

Edited by MHSN