website statistics

GB Cycling 2024

The PanAmerican BMX Racing Champs took place this weekend and with Mariana Pajon taking the title, Colombia have picked up over 400 additional ranking points. GB are now likely to trail Colombia by about 800 points. If that gap is going to be closed, I think realistically, Shriever will need to win at least one of the next 2 World Cups.

8 minutes ago, Rafa Maciel said:

The PanAmerican BMX Racing Champs took place this weekend and with Mariana Pajon taking the title, Colombia have picked up over 400 additional ranking points. GB are now likely to trail Colombia by about 800 points. If that gap is going to be closed, I think realistically, Shriever will need to win at least one of the next 2 World Cups.

With mountain biking do you think GB will manage to take 2 quota's in men's and women's? i know on the last update they were in the last spots, just wondering with pidcock not racing if that will cost Charlie his spot

Pidcock's win today on a punchy hilly course makes me wonder if we might have two 'cross-overs' come Paris.

If Pidcock did the Road Race, Tarling could give it a miss, allowing Tarling to do the TT on the first day and then rest and  join the pursuiters as a spare/heat rider. It seems increasingly obvious that Pfeifer Georgie is #1 for the RR on the women's side, with Henderson and Backstedt doing the TT

3 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

Pidcock's win today on a punchy hilly course makes me wonder if we might have two 'cross-overs' come Paris.

If Pidcock did the Road Race, Tarling could give it a miss, allowing Tarling to do the TT on the first day and then rest and  join the pursuiters as a spare/heat rider. It seems increasingly obvious that Pfeifer Georgie is #1 for the RR on the women's side, with Henderson and Backstedt doing the TT

The men's road race is going to be a free for all, i can't wait, the road race (off the top of my head) is a week after the mountain biking yes? so i'd be happy to see him go in both 

Edited by Olympicsnell

2 minutes ago, Olympicsnell said:

With mountain biking do you think GB will manage to take 2 quota's in men's and women's? i know on the last update they were in the last spots, just wondering with pidcock not racing if that will cost Charlie his spot

They should be safe for 2 quotas on both the men's and women's side - but it will be tight. 

For the men, GB are currently in 7th place but will drop below USA when the points from Mairipora are added in. GB have about 350 point cushion over 9th placed Denmark and 10th placed Brazil so if Aldridge and Orr can have steady results in the next couple of races, then they should be able to do enough to stay ahead of both countries. 

Not sure what Pidcock's schedule is for this season, but he has traditionally competed in Nove Mesto towards the end of May - if he does that again this year, then it would definitely make it easier to keep those 2 individual quotas.

For the women, it basically comes down to Evie Richards vs Anna Henderson of Australia and at the moment in the head-to-head, Richards comes out on top. GB currently have 500 point cushion and that will increase slightly after this weekend's action is taken into account. 

14 minutes ago, mpjmcevoy said:

I know I am in the minority here, but I'm still not buying into Backstedt making the squad.

With Georgi and Henderson locked in for selection (barring injury), Anna Shackley is probably third rider so that only leaves 1 more space and I'm not convinced it will be Backstedt who fills that last place. 

On the men’s side I think the endurance track team is essentially finalised with Tarling doing the crossover between track (team pursuit and possibly Madison) and the ITT. My only question with the men’s side is regarding the plan and status of Matt Walls (defending Omnium champion).

We have discussed the women’s side at length on this forum and posters are split. I think all we can say is that we shall have to wait and see what the real plan is!

My 2 cents remains that Zoe is too talented to be missing from the team. The track option does not look likely at this point (doing the Tarling type crossover role), so I still think she makes the Road team and competes in the TT and road race. 

9 hours ago, RussB said:

On the men’s side I think the endurance track team is essentially finalised with Tarling doing the crossover between track (team pursuit and possibly Madison) and the ITT. My only question with the men’s side is regarding the plan and status of Matt Walls (defending Omnium champion).

I don't think Walls is eligible for selection - I can't find record of him competing in the qualifying events so hasn't got the 10 UCI ranking points.

I think the endurance team is likely to be Bigham, Tanfield, Hayter and Vernon and I can see the merits in having Tarling available as an extra wheel. I think Hayter has done enough to get the nod for the Omnium but the Madison is more tricky to predict as we don't really have an established team who are consistently on the podium. Could see them opting for Tarling, but who they would pair him with is up for debate.

Just now, Rafa Maciel said:

I don't think Walls is eligible for selection - I can't find record of him competing in the qualifying events so hasn't got the 10 UCI ranking points.

I think the endurance team is likely to be Bigham, Tanfield, Hayter and Vernon and I can see the merits in having Tarling available as an extra wheel. I think Hayter has done enough to get the nod for the Omnium but the Madison is more tricky to predict as we don't really have an established team who are consistently on the podium. Could see them opting for Tarling, but who they would pair him with is up for debate.

This is my presumption too. I think if Walls can’t be considered then the 5 is set. Madison id tentatively suggest it will be Tarling plus Vernon. Hayter riding the Omnium seems set.

On 4/15/2024 at 1:29 AM, Rafa Maciel said:

I know I am in the minority here, but I'm still not buying into Backstedt making the squad.

With Georgi and Henderson locked in for selection (barring injury), Anna Shackley is probably third rider so that only leaves 1 more space and I'm not convinced it will be Backstedt who fills that last place. 

This prediction did not age well :wacko:

Anna Shackley forced to retire aged 22 because of heart condition - BBC Sport