website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

16 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Preview for the World Athletics Indoor Gold meet in Qazaqstan on Saturday.  Still waiting confirmation about where it's going to be shown though!  :question:

Duplantis among stars in Astana for first World Indoor Tour Gold meeting of 2024 | PREVIEW | World Athletics

Aren't the indoor gold meets on YouTube? Or is it only the outdoor continental gold meets?

Just now, dullard said:

Aren't the indoor gold meets on YouTube? Or is it only the outdoor continental gold meets?

Watchathletics.com says it'll be on YouTube but they've often been wrong:

The live stream of the Astana Indoor Meet for Amin Tuyakov Prizes will be available on the World Athletics YouTube channel. Additionally, the event will be broadcast live on numerous TV channels across various countries. The full list of streaming and TV channels will be made available here one day prior to the start of the meet.

https://www.watchathletics.com/schedule/watchlive/7944

1 minute ago, dullard said:

Well in :GBR last year they were on the Pay TV service Viaplay, but there is no confirmation this time.  Presumably YT, but just waiting for WA to confirm - they usually put a How To Watch Where You Are post on the website.

Just now, Grassmarket said:

Well in :GBR last year they were on the Pay TV service Viaplay, but there is no confirmation this time.  Presumably YT, but just waiting for WA to confirm - they usually put a How To Watch Where You Are post on the website.

When on YouTube they're usually geoblocked in any country that has the rights although I think they forgot to do it last year for Maurie Plant meet (Melbourne) cos I watched on YouTube.

1 minute ago, dullard said:

When on YouTube they're usually geoblocked in any country that has the rights although I think they forgot to do it last year for Maurie Plant meet (Melbourne) cos I watched on YouTube.

Yeah, that's exactly the trouble.  I'm a worrier, I admit!  :old:

9 minutes ago, dullard said:

Geoblocks on YouTube tend to be easy to bypass.

It's how I've been watching most short track World Cups :p 

Won't need it for Astana athletics though, that'll be on TV here (Ziggo Sport), presumably even with my favourite athletics (and cross-country skiing) commentator for extra fun.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 year old Peyton Craig just broke the 28 year old u20 Australian record for the 800m clocking 1:45.77. 17 year old Cam Myers also lopped nearly four seconds off his PB with 1:47.11.

Junior athletics in Australia has been a bit more lively over the last year or so. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the young ones are more motivated because of a home Olympics coming up even if it's another 8 years away.

3 hours ago, Grassmarket said:

Yup, here we are!  Good news for fans in :GBR, not such good news for :VIN

https://worldathletics.org/news/news/how-to-watch-athletics-2024-world-athletics-indoor-tour-gold-astana

So it’s free but on World Athletics own website which requires registration.  :mumble:

Not sure if “hey, let’s do everything a completely new way and announce it to the World with less that 24 hours to go” would be my plan, but I’m sure that competent people are in charge.

https://worldathletics.org/videos

Edited by Grassmarket