website statistics

Athletics 2024 Discussion Thread

Totallympics

On 2/24/2024 at 3:49 PM, SalamAkhi said:

🚨 400m WR ALERT🚨 

Christopher Morales Williams :CAN just broke the indoor 400m WR during the SEC Championships in Fayetteville with a 44.49.

Previous best was Michael Norman's 44.52.

Don't want to throw shade on him but he's an absolutely random guy, at least for breaking a WR :p No credential to his name. Still young though, only turning 20 in August. Previous best from last year : 45.48 as a u20. 45.39 indoors this year. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 2/25/2024 at 12:49 AM, SalamAkhi said:

🚨 400m WR ALERT🚨 

Christopher Morales Williams :CAN just broke the indoor 400m WR during the SEC Championships in Fayetteville with a 44.49.

Previous best was Michael Norman's 44.52.

Don't want to throw shade on him but he's an absolutely random guy, at least for breaking a WR :p No credential to his name. Still young though, only turning 20 in August. Previous best from last year : 45.48 as a u20. 45.39 indoors this year. 

Michael Norman's record was never ratified because there was no doping test. With Morales's time also not ratified it means the WR still belongs to Kerron Clement.

25 minutes ago, Josh said:

I think that not having the world champs in mid-August is the worst idea they could have :facepalm: :hairpull:

in september all the main championships in team sports (namely, especially football) in Europe (which, like it or not, is the main market for the Athletics World champs) have already started, they're gonna have a lot less space on the traditional TV networks (especially during the weekend, but also on prime time Tuesday through Thursday thanks to the Champions League) and above all, the economic value of the world champs will decrease a lot for those same TV networks

1 minute ago, Biathlonfan said:

World championships every year to wrap the season up ? Sounds great to me

actually, it's not a great idea

it makes the world champship just a meet like another, with no hype for many athletes, for TV networks and, in the long term, also for fans

look at those sports who already have the world champ every year ;)

Yeah, the timing is a VERY bad idea. August in most sports is actually one month where almost nothing significant happens so it was perfect moment to stage the biggest athletics event. Delaying this to September is nonsense and it actually hampers the American market the most since NFL rules in September and nobody will give a hoot about track & field at that time.

15 minutes ago, phelps said:

actually, it's not a great idea

it makes the world champship just a meet like another, with no hype for many athletes, for TV networks and, in the long term, also for fans

look at those sports who already have the world champ every year ;)

Your mistake is thinking that i give one crap about the Tv networks,i don't,Yeah football will always be more popular,whoop de doo.What is the point of competitions after the world championships ? most of the big names are done after those,this makes perfect sense as the clear season finale.

I don't know what sports you want me to look at,since i don't exactly follow many.

Anyway,the publics reaction so far seems to be  that this is a rare world athletics win,so not that it always matters whatsoever,but you might be in the minority with this take.   

Edited by Biathlonfan

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Yeah, the timing is a VERY bad idea. August in most sports is actually one month where almost nothing significant happens so it was perfect moment to stage the biggest athletics event. Delaying this to September is nonsense and it actually hampers the American market the most since NFL rules in September and nobody will give a hoot about track & field at that time.

Isn't it the popular idea in America that'' nobody'' there actually gives a hoot about track and field anyway,regardless of what time of the year it is....it's what Fourth place at best,as far as sports there go ? If so,then what's the point in catering to Americans anymore?   ,if it's never gonna be more popular there.America is not the end of the world and Michael Johnson is doing something about Athletics streaming apparently,world athletics can let him handle it. 

Edited by Biathlonfan