website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

crovitlaci

Typical story of the last 10 years or so - Matej Vidović and Ida Štimac got removed from the Croatian ski team.

Basically you can't stay in the Croatian team unless you have some strong personal connections with the corrupted leadership, or if you have some really good results (but even then the chance of staying on the team is like 50-50).

But seriously, Vidović was recently the Europa Cup slalom champion and has been a regular part of the WC top 30 for the past three seasons. Ida Štimac is not even 20, but of course the leadership expected her to already be an international star, no doubt. CroSki is the federation I easily hate the most.:facepalm:

#banbestmen

4 hours ago, dcro said:

Typical story of the last 10 years or so - Matej Vidović and Ida Štimac got removed from the Croatian ski team.

Basically you can't stay in the Croatian team unless you have some strong personal connections with the corrupted leadership, or if you have some really good results (but even then the chance of staying on the team is like 50-50).

But seriously, Vidović was recently the Europa Cup slalom champion and has been a regular part of the WC top 30 for the past three seasons. Ida Štimac is not even 20, but of course the leadership expected her to already be an international star, no doubt. CroSki is the federation I easily hate the most.:facepalm:

Thanks, now I have two extra Croatians to cheer for :p 

Yeah, federations of 'small nations'...ugh.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

FISI announced the teams for the next season.

Men's Elite

Christof Innerhofer

Dominik Paris

Women's Elite

Sofia Goggia

Federica Brignone

Marta Bassino

Women's All-arounder

Elena Curtoni

Nicol Delago

Nadia Delago

Francesca Marsaglia

Laura Pirovano

Roberta Malesi

Verena Gasslitter

Men's Speed

Emanuele Muzzi

Mattia Casse

Matteo Marsaglia

Alexander Prast

Men's Technical

Giovanni Borsotti

Luca De Aliprandini

Stefano Gross

Federico Liberatore

Simon Maurberger

Manuel Moelgg

Giuliano Razzoli

Tommaso Sala

Riccardo Tonetti

Alex Vinatzer

Hannes Zingerle

Women's Technical

Irene Curtoni

Marta Pertilini

Lara Della Mea

Marta Rossetti

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Apparently at the headquarters of the FIS they ran out of vodka, damn covid. Btw, without drink, they made a right decision... All the stage in the parallel events will be on two run.

yeah, now the format will feature 16 skiers qualifying to the knockout stage, which is contested over 2 runs in each round from 1/8 finals to the Big Final...

from FIS website:

"In terms of rule changes, the Parallel format has been adapted also taking into consideration the athletes’ recommendations.

The Parallel race will have a run and re-run format to ensure a fair competition.

To keep the format short and interesting, the parallel race will start from the round of 16 (not 32 as until now) with the 16 fastest athletes from the qualification race. 

When both gender are present, the losing competitors in the quarter finals will be ranked from 5 to 8 according to their total time (run and re-run), without having to race for their position.

Finally, in terms of Parallel quota, for the season 2020/21, the nation’s higher quota, whether from WCSL or PWSL, will be valid.

All the proposals mentioned above are subject to the approval of the Council."

EDIT: fixed the wrong comparison with the Snowboard PSL and PGS...;)

8 hours ago, Gianlu33 said:

Apparently at the headquarters of the FIS they ran out of vodka, damn covid. Btw, without drink, they made a right decision... All the stage in the parallel events will be on two run.

you know, summer is coming, weather is getting hotter and alchool is not a true comfort drink under this circumstance...:lol:

1 hour ago, phelps said:

yeah, now the format should be the same of PSL and PGS in Snowboard, with 16 skiers qualifying to the knockout stage, which is contested over 2 runs in each round from 1/8 finals to the Big Final...

from FIS website:

"In terms of rule changes, the Parallel format has been adapted also taking into consideration the athletes’ recommendations.

The Parallel race will have a run and re-run format to ensure a fair competition.

To keep the format short and interesting, the parallel race will start from the round of 16 (not 32 as until now) with the 16 fastest athletes from the qualification race. 

When both gender are present, the losing competitors in the quarter finals will be ranked from 5 to 8 according to their total time (run and re-run), without having to race for their position.

Finally, in terms of Parallel quota, for the season 2020/21, the nation’s higher quota, whether from WCSL or PWSL, will be valid.

All the proposals mentioned above are subject to the approval of the Council."

Did snowboarding get rid of their terrible single run format? Because that would be great news.

Anyway, glad to hear the FIS fixed the single biggest issue with their parallel alpine races.

12 hours ago, NearPup said:

Did snowboarding get rid of their terrible single run format? Because that would be great news.

Anyway, glad to hear the FIS fixed the single biggest issue with their parallel alpine races.

ops...I think I made a bit of confusion between the section "starting from the top 16 of the qualification" and the "2-run question"...

unfortunately, Snowboard has not changed their unfair system...:facepalm:

maybe I was the one who got a little drunk last night...:rofl: :facepalm:

8 hours ago, phelps said:

ops...I think I made a bit of confusion between the section "starting from the top 16 of the qualification" and the "2-run question"...

unfortunately, Snowboard has not changed their unfair system...:facepalm:

maybe I was the one who got a little drunk last night...:rofl: :facepalm:

Your make better decisions drunk than the FIS does sober...