website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Just now, hckosice said:

In Slovakia you are expected to take off your shoes when entering any house :d I know this is really strange and weird, (as I found also for some dutch guys :lol: this is for you heywoodu (the second part) https://thecuriousdutchman.com/blog/a-few-curious-habits-to-get-you-started-with-life-in-slovakia-living-in-slovakia-1 ) but it is supposed to be extremely offending if you enter a home with your shoes

I'm pretty much used to doing that anyway, just because I'd find it terribly annoying if someone walks around with dirty shoes in my house, so it feels only normal to also make sure I don't do the exact same thing I hate to someone else :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

What I find more curious is the whole 'welcome to Slovakia, here's some bread and you. Will. Eat. It.' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

What I find more curious is the whole 'welcome to Slovakia, here's some bread and you. Will. Eat. It.' :p 

You meant the bread and salt welcoming ceremony thing ? :lol: this is not only slovak thing, this is all pan-slavic habit

Just now, hckosice said:

You meant the bread and salt welcoming ceremony thing ? :lol: this is not only slovak thing, this is all pan-slavic habit

Yeah, that! Curious in a positive way though, I'd like arriving after a long travel and immediately be offered something to eat :d 

No, you don't understand at all because you keep saying "someone burned one of a gazillion copies of a book", "attacking people who burn books" diminishing the role of "the book" which in this case it's not only a book, it's a symbol that stands for "Muslims"...burning that book in a public show is not different than going around with a big written sign and shouting "You Muslims must fuck off, die, burn"... blaming both sides equally seems a Trumpist statement.

13 minutes ago, Dunadan said:

No, you don't understand at all because you keep saying "someone burned one of a gazillion copies of a book", "attacking people who burn books" diminishing the role of "the book" which in this case it's not only a book, it's a symbol that stands for "Muslims"...burning that book in a public show is not different than going around with a big written sign and shouting "You Muslims must fuck off, die, burn"... blaming both sides equally seems a Trumpist statement.

So does saying the side that resorts to physical violence is any less to blame than the side that's a pathetic and provoking attention whore who feels the need to burn other people's symbols. The whole 'they are more stupid, no they are more stupid' thing makes it sound like one of both sides is being even remotely reasonable. Which they're not.

Edited by heywoodu

Also, it's Good Friday. We should be much busier talking about people hanging on crosses.

5 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Also, it's Good Friday. We should be much busier talking about people hanging on crosses.

Is it today also the "fast" day in the Netherlands ? here it is, it is a national holiday, all stores and offices are closed, peoples don´t eat meat :p and you literally don´t hear a single voice outdoor, everyone is at home..

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Or, if like me, your an atheist (technically agnostic) then it’s just a Friday :p.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

46 minutes ago, hckosice said:

In Slovakia you are expected to take off your shoes when entering any house :d I know this is really strange and weird, (as I found also for some dutch guys :lol: this is for you heywoodu (the second part) https://thecuriousdutchman.com/blog/a-few-curious-habits-to-get-you-started-with-life-in-slovakia-living-in-slovakia-1 ) but it is supposed to be extremely offending if you enter a home with your shoes

That's not only in Slovakia. Every normal person should be doing it.