website statistics

Ice Hockey Discussion | Qualification to Winter Olympic Games Milano-Cortina 2026 Road to Milano-Cortina 2026

Totallympics

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Well yeah, but I’d honestly be surprised if Russia weren’t in medal contending form, they always are. Russia has been one of the top nations in ice hockey for many many years and there’s no reason to think otherwise. 

They have a good non-NHL team (they did win gold in Beijing after all…), and with NHL players finally returning to the Olympics they’ll be even stronger. Some of the players like Kucherov have spoken about the upcoming Olympics and are quite keen to represent their countries if given the chance of course. 

Did Russia take over :FIN again? :P

10 hours ago, Josh said:

Well yeah, but I’d honestly be surprised if Russia weren’t in medal contending form, they always are. Russia has been one of the top nations in ice hockey for many many years and there’s no reason to think otherwise. 

They have a good non-NHL team (they did win gold in Beijing after all…), and with NHL players finally returning to the Olympics they’ll be even stronger. Some of the players like Kucherov have spoken about the upcoming Olympics and are quite keen to represent their countries if given the chance of course. 

If you mean gold in Korea, there was a very detailed and long preparation which included formation of two basic clubs with national team players who played together for a couple of seasons (that made angry all the rest clubs). And even that plan hardly survived thanks to late goal VS Germany in Olympic final.

I doubt that Russian team will be allowed now, but if it would be, they will again suck because NHL players can't just gather together a week before Olympics and play

Bring back the 1991 borders

4 minutes ago, vovanA said:

If you mean gold in Korea, there was a very detailed and long preparation which included formation of two basic clubs with national team players who played together for a couple of seasons (that made angry all the rest clubs). And even that plan hardly survived thanks to late goal VS Germany in Olympic final.

I doubt that Russian team will be allowed now, but if it would be, they will again suck because NHL players can't just gather together a week before Olympics and play

I mean Beijing and silver, I got Pyeongchang 2018 and Beijing 2022 confused. 

8 minutes ago, vovanA said:

Couldn’t you say the same thing about every single other country?

10 hours ago, Josh said:

and with NHL players finally returning to the Olympics

Is this sure, by now? It feels like companies like NHL and NBA change their mind about this every month or so :p 

Definitely hope so though, Olympic ice hockey with NHL players is like the junior men's Olympic football tournament.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Is this sure, by now? It feels like companies like NHL and NBA change their mind about this every month or so :p 

Definitely hope so though, Olympic ice hockey with NHL players is like the junior men's Olympic football tournament.

Well no, not yet and probably won’t be until late next year but in Beijing the lack of NHL players was due to COVID which isn’t as big anymore so… 

Yeah same, not only would it be better for the quality of the competition, but just imagine the lines it would produce. I mean a Crosby-MacKinnon-McDavid line… fuck I’m already excited. 

I don’t get what you mean regarding that

comparison though, the Olympic men’s football tournament doesn’t attract the star players that men’s hockey does :mumble:

3 minutes ago, Josh said:

Well no, not yet and probably won’t be until late next year but in Beijing the lack of NHL players was due to COVID which isn’t as big anymore so… 

Yeah same, not only would it be better for the quality of the competition, but just imagine the lines it would produce. I mean a Crosby-MacKinnon-McDavid line… fuck I’m already excited. 

I don’t get what you mean regarding that

comparison though, the Olympic men’s football tournament doesn’t attract the star players that men’s hockey does :mumble:

You don't get what I mean, because I see I slightly miswrote a word: 'with' should have been 'without', minor difference :lol: 'Olympic ice hockey without NHL players is like the junior men's Olympic football tournament' is what I meant. My bad!

Like, sure, it's a gold medal to be won, but without any of the star players basically.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

12 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

You don't get what I mean, because I see I slightly miswrote a word: 'with' should have been 'without', minor difference :lol: 'Olympic ice hockey without NHL players is like the junior men's Olympic football tournament' is what I meant. My bad!

Like, sure, it's a gold medal to be won, but without any of the star players basically.

Oh I see now. No worries, we all make mistakes :yes

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Couldn’t you say the same thing about every single other country?

Well, Canada, United States, Sweden, Czechia and Finland - they all did better in NHL Olympics

Bring back the 1991 borders