website statistics

Junior Pan American Games 2021

Totallympics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Mascot for 2021 Jr. PanAm Games has been revealed: a coatí named "Pana"; a coati is a mammal related to raccoons, whose species' range goes Southwestern USA to Uruguay and Argentina.

In Colombian and Venezuelan Spanish, Pana is slang for friend.

PANA-graphic-hp.jpeg

Sports program for Cali 2021 Jr PanAm Games has been revealed:

30 sports will be featured; among the notable absences from  the Olympic sports program are Equestrian, Football, Sports Climbing & Surfing, plus Water Polo and Slalom Canoe.

However Bowling and Squash who were axed from Santiago are included, while Water Ski was excluded alongside Racquetball :(

The Games will be contested from June 5th to 20th by U23 athletes, with each continental federation deciding the age of the competitors.

Also confirmed, every gold medalist, even those in team sports, will secure a quota for 2023 Pan American Games.

Source

37 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Sports program for Cali 2021 Jr PanAm Games has been revealed:

30 sports will be featured; among the notable absences from  the Olympic sports program are Equestrian, Football, Sports Climbing & Surfing, plus Water Polo and Slalom Canoe.

However Bowling and Squash who were axed from Santiago are included, while Water Ski was excluded alongside Racquetball :(

The Games will be contested from June 5th to 20th by U23 athletes, with each continental federation deciding the age of the competitors.

Also confirmed, every gold medalist, even those in team sports, will secure a quota for 2023 Pan American Games.

Source

I really don’t understand Pan Am Sports :wacko:. They axe Bowling and Squash, and then race to bring them back. Water Ski at the U23 level is highly competitive in the Pan Am region. Plus, Cali hosted the World Games, so I know they have a venue (same goes for Sport Climbing). Football being omitted is huge oversight as well.

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

46 minutes ago, intoronto said:

I disagree. The best youth athletes wouldn't compete most likely.

Football still had one of the biggest crowds at the 2018 CAC Games in Barranquilla. It was a U23 tournament just like this one would have been. It would have been a good way to sell the games to the locals.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

• 5 months later...

Alright, PanAm Sports sent out a release today, here’s a summary: 

• The Colombian government officially confirmed their support for the Games today.
  • Official dates of September 9-19, 2021 have been confirmed.
  • The Games will be open to athletes aged 14-22.
  • The Games will feature a program of 27 sports (list below)
    • Aquatics (Diving, Swimming and Artistic Swimming), Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball 3x3, Bowling, Boxing, Canoeing, Cycling (BMX, Mountain, Road and Track), Fencing, Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic and Trampoline), Handball, Judo, Karate, Modern Pentathlon, Roller Sports (Artistic, Speed and Skateboarding), Rowing, Sailing, Shooting Sport (Pistol and Rifle), Squash, Table Tennis, Taekwondo, Tennis, Triathlon, Volleyball (Beach and Indoor), Weightlifting and Wrestling (Freestyle and Greco-Roman).
  • Gold Medalists at the Games will qualify for the 2023 Pan American Games.
  • Panam Sports Channel will stream a “One Year To Go” celebration on September 9, 2020.

I know some of this was already posted, but it seems like Panam Sports is officially confirming all of this today.

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Canoeing

Sprint, Slalom or both?

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Shooting Sport (Pistol and Rifle)

No shotguns? That's a little disappointing :( 

No climbing and poor program of team events but beside that I love it.

8 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Sprint, Slalom or both?

I do not know. They didn’t publish that information, and I’m not a wizard, so I can’t conjure it up for you. My educated guess would be Sprint only.

No shotguns? That's a little disappointing :( 

Shotgun isn’t contested at youth or junior multi-sports games, at least I can’t think of a time it has.

No climbing and poor program of team events but beside that I love it.

Sport Climbing was most likely omitted because of a lack of national representation. There’s still only 8/9 Pan American NOCs with active Sport Climbing federations.

Football was likely omitted for the reasons discussed above. Water Polo is another discipline which tends to be omitted from youth and junior multi sports games. Same thing for Basketball 5x5. Field Hockey and Rugby Sevens are shocking omissions though, especially since both have featured at other youth and junior multi sports games.