website statistics

Junior Pan American Games 2021

Totallympics

5 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Spoke with Softball Canada, they had no idea about this event till I pointed it out to them. I have a hard time believing that lol.

Well, this is a real shame and probably highlights two things:

1) Panam Sports put this event too soon in their schedule of Continental Games, much more considering the global pandemic restricted travelling and that many NOC's will have as their priority to save their best athletes and resources for the Olympics.

2) Very little planning regarding the qualification systems; there are varely junior competitions in most sports in the continent that attract enough interest, so they should have consulted with the regional sports confederations as how to create continental junior (and in some case, senior) "circuits/cups" to allow better NOC representation and growth of their events.

Just now, mrv86 said:

Well, this is a real shame and probably highlights two things:

1) Panam Sports put this event too soon in their schedule of Continental Games, much more considering the global pandemic restricted travelling and that many NOC's will have as their priority to save their best athletes and resources for the Olympics.

2) Very little planning regarding the qualification systems; there are varely junior competitions in most sports in the continent that attract enough interest, so they should have consulted with the regional sports confederations as how to create continental junior (and in some case, senior) "circuits/cups" to allow better NOC representation and growth of their events.

The thing is Canada did compete at the qualifiers (2019 u-17 Pan Ams). I honestly think the COC has failed to disseminate the information to the respective NF's and this is what we are left with. Shooting did not send anyone, rowing had no idea (lol). I would be surprised if Sailing Canada accepts the quota spots it earned. IIRC for the 2010 Youth Olympics, Canada did not care too much and sent not their best athletes. Its a real shame.

3 minutes ago, intoronto said:

The thing is Canada did compete at the qualifiers (2019 u-17 Pan Ams). I honestly think the COC has failed to disseminate the information to the respective NF's and this is what we are left with. Shooting did not send anyone, rowing had no idea (lol). I would be surprised if Sailing Canada accepts the quota spots it earned. IIRC for the 2010 Youth Olympics, Canada did not care too much and sent not their best athletes. Its a real shame.

There's still hope for rowing, as I saw in the Argentinian Rowing Federation website, the regatta was postponed to May in Cuemanco (Mexico City)

Entries for Canoeing (Sprint)

Assigned according to numerical entries submitted by NOC's, after cancellation of the Qualification event in Curitiba, which was to be held at the same time as the Olympic Qualification for seniors

NOC M Kayak M Canoe W Kayak W Canoe
:ARG 4 4 1 1
:BIZ 2 - - -
:BRA 4 4 3 3
:CHI 4 4 3 3
:COL 4 4 2 2
:CUB - - 1 -
:DMA 2 2 - -
:DOM 2 2 1 -
:ECU 2 - 2 -
:GUA 1 - - -
:MEX 4 4 3 3
:PER 2 1 1 -
:PUR 2 - - -
:URU 4 - - -
:VEN 4 2 2 1

Entries for Triathlon

Assigned by continental confederation, based on participation at 2019 Pan American Games, and additionally past Continental and Regional championships, after no specific qualification event could be held to complete the total quota.

NOC Men Women Mixed Relay
:ARG 2 2 q
:ARU 1 - -
:BAH - 1 -
:BAR 1 1 -
:BIZ 1 - -
:BER 1 1  
:BOL 1 1  
:BRA 2 2 q
:CAN  2 2 q
:CHI 2 2 q
:COL 2 2 q
:CRC 1 1 -
:CUB 2 2 q
:DOM 1 1 -
:ECU 2 2 q
:ESA 1 1 -
:GUA 1 1 -
:JAM - 1 -
:MEX 2 2 q
:PAN 1 - -
:PER 1 1 -
:PUR - 1 -
:TTO 1 1 -
:URU 1 1 -
:USA 2 2 q
:VEN 1 1 -

• 1 month later...

Taekwondo quotas (the qualification tournament was cancelled, so countries are assigned total spots)

:COL 6 (declined 2)

:USA / :MEX / :BRA (4 each)

:ARG / :DOM / :CUB / :ECU:CHI:CRC (3 each)

:VEN:PER / :GUA / :PUR / :HAI (2 each), :CAN (2 as well, but declined 2)

:PAN:URU:NCA:GUY :SUR:ARU:JAM:HON:TTO:BAR:BOL (1 each)   

5 wild cards left over

@intoronto Do you know how the spots were assigned? 

To me, it seems like they should have asked for preliminary entries and then just made cuts if needed (in this case as qualifiers weren’t possible).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

11 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@intoronto Do you know how the spots were assigned? 

To me, it seems like they should have asked for preliminary entries and then just made cuts if needed (in this case as qualifiers weren’t possible).

Apparently based on Lima 2019...